35HP Issues

KPatterson

Cadet
Most of the time when on full throttle the motor will act as if its only getting 1/4 throttle but sometime it will jerk and want to wind out. This has happened the past few times I ahve been out with it. Sometimes its hesitant to start as well. While trying to start I will have to milk the throttle to get it to start. I have checked linkages and everything seems to be moving smoothly. Sounds like a fuel problem to me but I wanted to get some feedback before I start tearing into things. Thanks in advance,
Kerry

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: 35HP Issues

I would bet a dinner that the problem is lack of spark on one of the cylinders.
Could be caused by something as simple as an intermittent connection.

Check for spark and get back to us.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I agree probably one cylinder no or weak spark could even be a bad plug.
Check the plugs one will probably appear wet. Or
loosen the plug wires then run the motor and pull one wire at a time with insulated pliers and note the reaction.

sdunt

Petty Officer 1st Class

to check fuel pump problems, squeeze the primer bulb while the engine is running and see if it picks up speed when you do it. That would indicate fuel pump - clogged carb, etc.

KPatterson

Cadet

Well I checked for spark and both plugs are firing good. Funny thing is that it seemed to fire up and wind out good today. I didnt run it more than 2sec since it was out of water. Next I`ll check for fuel starvation.
Kerry

KPatterson

Cadet

Well today I was out on the water testing it out and sure enough its still doing the same thing. What I did notice is that there was some water up around the engine. Where could it be leaking from? I am wandering if somehow the water is getting mixed in with the gas up in the cylinders, therefore not letting it cumbust right? It makes scence im just unsure where to start looking. :confused:

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

try running without the cowling on. If you are seeing water inside the cowling you lower seals may be shot. This can be causing water inside the cowling and exhaust gases so you will not have enough oxygen to fire off the fuel. You need to find where the water is leaking in and fix that before you can go to the next step. My guess it is the lower exhaust seal under the powerhead.

KPatterson

Cadet

what is the cawling? Im assuming its the side panel where are the wires are bolted to?

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Cowling is what covers the motor. You remove it to work on the motor. If you have exhaust gases getting inside it your motor will run like crap. I have seen water get inside under the powerhead that is mixed with exhaust before. When exhaust gets inside you are not getting enough oxygen for the motor to burn off the gas. If the motor runs better with the cowling off chances are this is what is happening to your motor.

byacey

Chief Petty Officer

Check and make sure your points are clean and properly adjusted for .020; if it has points. Mine did the same thing until I cleaned them up.