1996 Oceanpro Temp Sensor Test?

dago52

Cadet
My boat runs fine for about an hour, and then just kills. It will restart but it sounds like a bad miss. I think the temp sensor on the port side may be bad. When it cools down it will run fine. My tach does not work as I am in the process of replacing it. I pulled the sensor on the port side, and it has 2 wires. 1 is brown with a blue stripe and the other is white with a black strip. I probe the 2 connectors with my ohm meter whne it is cool and at 180 degrees. The ohm meter reads the same wheter it is hot or cold. I do not know if I am doing this right or not. Please help

Thanks

Walker

Captain
Re: 1996 Oceanpro Temp Sensor Test?

The temp sensor won't kill your motor, just sound the alarm or light up heat light, or both. The temp sensor works as a ground switch. To test for continuity test the brown wire to ground. Should be open until overheat range.

dago52

Cadet

Would a bad sensor engage the SLOW system causing the motor to run on 3 cylinders? With the SLOW system engaged, will the motor run rough? I will try to retest to sensor in a pot of water to see if it changes. Thanks for the help

Walker

Captain

A faulty sensor or an overheat condition will automatically slow the engine down to approx 2500 rpm's. Below that speed the engine will run smooth. If you try to accelerate above that it will run terrible with lots of shaking.
The tan leads from the temp sensors actuate the SLOW. Disconnect the port tan lead from the sensor and ground the lead. The engine should slow to 2500. Do the same with the starboard side and it should slow the engine too.
To test for a bad sensor while while you think the engine is in SLOW mode just disconnect the sensor and the engine should run fine if the sensor is bad.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

On my '98 Johnson 150HP only the Port side temperature sensor is connected to the SLOW system The Starboard side has only a single wire, which connects to the Check Engine system

clanton

Rear Admiral

The temp sensors are just a switch to ground. The starboard side tan/blue stripe wire closes at 240 +-6 F, opens at 207+-15 F. The port side tan/bluestripe closes at 240 +- 6 F, opens at 207+- 15 F. The port side white/black wire closes at 105 +- 3 F, opens at 90+-3 F.

The tan/blue wire sets the overheat alarm and S.L.O.W.
The white/blacks sets Quick Start.

dago52

Cadet

I took the boat out this weekend for a test run. I notice the engine has a bad shake when cruising approximatley 1000 rpm. Anyway, I launch the boat and get through the no wake zone, start the throttle up the engine and it started sputtering. I disconnected the temp sensor from the port side and it started to run better. It still had the shake at low rpm's. I cruise for about 30 minutes and the motor starts doing the sme thing. Now I know it is not the temp sensor because it was disconneted. I even tried to disconnect the other side but I still had the same problem.

Today, i looked at the ground for the power pack and I could actually move it with my hand. So, I tried to remove the lower left hand bolt that holds the power pack and the ground and it broke. Now I have a broken bolt stuck in the engine that must be removed. I was thinking about relocating the ground to see if that may have been a problem. Could a loose ground cause these problems?

Thanks

Walker

Captain

That ground has to be clean and tight. Move it to another place.

dago52

Cadet

Does the coil have to have the bolt? I can relocate the ground with no problem, but I would like to test before I try and drill out the broken bolt. thanks