What to do in a thunderstorm?

valkyr

Chief Petty Officer
1988 22' Wellcraft Runabout in lake water. Like alot of thunderstorms, typically these blow over in a matter of minutes and we have a good anchor. What should we do if a passing thunderstorm is in the area?

Saturday was my first time on the lake with storms in the area so we beat it off the lake and went home. Then of course the storms never actually hit. Just thunder booming around.

I'm just curious what are my options and how likely it is that a boat actually gets lightning struck?

What do you do when storms blow through?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: What to do in a thunderstorm?

the smart thing is to seek shelter. get off the water, get low in the boat, you are taller than anything else, have a weather radio

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

There's been one or two boaters struck this year in my state.

They say get down low in the boat as you can. If I can hear thunder, I get off the water, I mean the closest place where I can beach. (unless I can make it to the car in, like 5 minutes. maybe 10). And wait until at least 5 minutes has passed since the last sound of thunder. If you can hear it, it's close enough to hit ya.

here's something interesting:
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/585872/lightening_strikes_a_tree/

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Not good to be in the open water if you can't get off. Head towards the shore the storm is approaching from. The wind and waves will be least and hopeflly there will be taller targets for the lightening.

woodduck17

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've heard lightning can strike from 20 miles away---treat it with respect.

baconbiscut

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've heard lightning can strike from 20 miles away---treat it with respect.

I agree with woodduck my uncle Mike got struck by lightning while fishingwith my uncle john blew a hole right in the floor of the boat. My uncle got lucky though he happened to be wet from fishing and the lightning traveled down his rod and when it came to his shoulder where he had happened to be wet it and it arched and the entered his chest again jus below his heart and it then traveled down his leg and out his heal. If it had not arched he would not be here today. Any way my uncle john started up the boat and thank god it started and nothing had shorted out oh and thats another reason why my family only uses johnson or evinrude. Anyway my uncle drove the boat on shore because he had no time to dock . He had somebody call an ambulance and they took him away. It took him almost year to recover and another year to relearn most of his motor skills. Thats why i always check the weather before I goe out and at the sight of a nearby storm I head in. There is in my personal opinion no safe way to stay safe in a boat in a lake in a thunderstorm.

bmwkiller

Cadet

I saw a really cool show on the Discovery channel once about lightning. They were explaining how lightning actually originates from the ground up, kinda. They had a video of a lightning strike that was one of those one in a million things where the lightning struck on an object that they just happened to be filming. Just before the strike there was a very weak electrical current, like a finger reaching up a couple feet, and that attracted a charge from the storm above.
The bottom line, they said, was if you feel your hair start to stand up, duck quick.
This was years ago that I saw this, so the science involved may have been disproven, but if my hair stands up I'm still gonna duck.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

A very serious problem here in "Lightning Alley" FL. I've never experienced the hair thing, but I would think that if you do, it's all over. Where ya going to duck to in a boat? If a lightning bolt has traveled across 10 miles of sky to get you, lowering yourself 3 feet isn't going to make much difference.

Our house took a direct hit a few years ago. Fortunatly we weren't home. It totalled out the TV, Solar Water Heater, garage door opener, telephone wire (buried underground, going to the street), electric breaker panel ground, and some other stuff I can't remember offhand. All this after burning a hole through the roof.

If you have any idea that lightning is anywhere near, get the heck off the water. But the trees along the shoreline aren't much better. I've faced that problem many times on the rivers. There is no place to go. Stay prayed up.....

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Agree on seeking shelter, covered boat dock is super.

Agree on getting off open water if you can....put some land between you and the lightening. Numerous times I have been fishing the Gulf (of Mexico) coast and had lightening strike miles away and feel it where I was. I don't want to get into an argument here as to which way lightening travels, but I felt (at the time) that it was coming down and as it struck the water it dispersed in all directions and that is what I felt. Being that far away it amounted to a tingle.

A radio antenna makes a great lightening rod, as does a mast on a sailboat. So if you could, I'd lower them.

A bimini top might....might help provide a shield around you. If you took a direct hit, it might save your life even though you probably would suffer some sort of injury.

I just don't like it and go out of my way to avoid it. One of the pitfalls of fishing open water like is on the coast.

Next time you are at you favorite watering hole and a storm comes up, rather than packing up and going home, just to have it blow over or act tough as yours did, I'd moor the boat and sit it out in the car or a building till it blows over.

Mark

valkyr

Chief Petty Officer

Well that makes me feel better. Couldn't understand why there weren't more people coming off the lake and some people still putting in. I asked one guy that was putting in if he "knew" if it was going to storm or not (hoping he had seen a radar and that all was good). He said something to the effect of:
"Yeah it stormed at home pretty good, but maybe it'll pass by..." - I just shook my head as I walked off to get the tow vehicle to get the boat and go home.

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

It is common where I live for afternoon thunderstorms to qucikly blow through (20 minutes). Tie the boat up at the dock and sit in the car till it's gone.

dooma_Flatchy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Grandpa said it before, If lighting is in the sky it's time to tie.

Nova II 260

Senior Chief Petty Officer

This brings up another question. If a storm does suddenly blow up. And we ducked temporarely into someone's empty boat house or private dock, are we trespassing?
"Any Port in a Storm" is good for the boaters safety but, is it also a simeritan(sp) rule? It has been my experience that not all water front home owners care about your safety or welfare.

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

This brings up another question. If a storm does suddenly blow up. And we ducked temporarely into someone's empty boat house or private dock, are we trespassing?
Yes, you are still trespassing. The fact that you were unprepared for the weather is not an excuse for breaking and entering.
"Any Port in a Storm" is good for the boaters safety but, is it also a simeritan(sp) rule? It has been my experience that not all water front home owners care about your safety or welfare.
If I had a beachfront home I would not automatically open my doors to unprepared tourists everytime the wind blows... unless I was running a bed and breakfast. Boating is risky stuff. You need to be prepared for every emergency. That starts with knowing the weather and planning for a safe port. It all comes down to personal responsibility.

I'm not trying to sound harsh- I'm just being realistic.

stevieray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

What scares the life out of me are the stories where people do the supposedly smart thing - when the storm comes up so fast they can't run & they just beach somewhere to get out of the boat & onto land - THEN get hit by lightning (happened here on the Chesapeake more than once).

I always wondered if a boat takes a direct hit, what would the probability be of the gas tank exploding? I have a small cuddy & ducking in there could possibly protect from the main hit, but it would be curtains if the tank goes!

Florida

Seaman

What to large boats and yachts do in thunderstorms?

dorelse

Chief Petty Officer

I saw a really cool show on the Discovery channel once about lightning. They were explaining how lightning actually originates from the ground up, kinda.

Well, it originates from the clouds, but there is usually a discharge from the ground up to meet the incoming lightning.

I've seen the video you're thinking of, and yes, its rare, but in certain conditions an unconnected discharge from the ground can occur, and its just as deadly.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

big boats & yachts have *lightening protection systems* - a conductive path to the water from the highest point, radio mast or whatever.

interesting question, nova - in Texas, you are only trespassing if the owner's intent to prevent you being there has been effectively communicated to you (some kind of law to keep you from shooting every girl scout who steps on your lawn to ring your doorbell).

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

A marine radio, a keen eye to the sky, gps waypoints to known safe places if you are in previously explored waters, enough gas and a WOT to the nearest place. The marine forecast around here is excellent so if there is a chance of storms (like there is today) I can bet there will be one and around the time that they stated (4p.m.) so i will not be heading out this evening.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

When I said duck into the nearest boathouse I was referring to one that was open, not one with the door closed that you break into to enter.

I easily can understand the tyranny of shoreline residents but you can bet they knew what they were up against before they purchased the property. Besides, a lot of times those signs are there just to keep pests away, not to throw you in jail for trying to save your life from an electrical storm.

Besides, if you really were "trespassing" the owner would call the sheriff and between him and the judge (if it were to go that far) I doubt that there would be a problem under the circumstances once you explained them.

Now if you wilfully tear up his property; or damage something accidentally and don't compensate the owner for it, then I can see a cause for concern.

I would not hesitate to protect myself if it were/seemed to be the only alternative.....at least I would be alive.....to talk to the judge. Grin

Mark