140hp rebuild update

reeldutch

Lieutenant
i rebuild a 1988 v4 looper with a 87 block bored to std 88 big bore.

replaced tstat system with the 1993 suffix s tstat system and works flawlessly. at idle 135 to 145
at 3000 i can feel it cooling down.

it idles 650 rpm in gear.
out of gear 800/900 rpm.

coldstart
when i start the motor it will idle for 2/3 minutes at 1000 rpm till quickstart deactivates.
only in these 3 minutes the motor coughs a few times.
after quickstart deactivates no more coughing.

i checked the timing and it idles at 8*atdc.

should i be concerned or do they just start up rough?
the rest of the day it will not cough.
i have vro oil side plugged and runn double oil at this time.

i did not have the motor wide open yet i only had it at 5500 rpm to check the full advanced timing.
18*btdc
it seems that i have some more rpms left.

the motor is on a 1974 mako 20' with a stainles wheel 13 3/8 X 17
the motor is on a bracket wit a setback of 4" and the anti cavitation plate is about 2" above the keel.
i had the same setup with my crosflow 110hp and i got 5600rpm out of it with the same prop when the bay was flat as glass.
i think the 140 looper will get 6000 out of it.

should i look into a 19" pitch ?

reeldutch

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: 140hp rebuild update

I'll bet that jumps out of the hole. I usually push the throttle up a bit when I want to deactivate QuikStart, but it sure is easy to start.

I think there is a rev limiter on the power pack at around 6200.

I would run it awhile with the prop you have, then adjust for what you want to do. I use a lower pitch if I have extra weight or pull skiers.

reeldutch

Lieutenant

i hear some people put v6 gearcases on the 140 loopers.

what benefit will i have and what conserns?

thanks

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

As long as you have stock steel reeds the sneeze won't hurt anything. You could play with the idle timing and make that go away probably. Or fool with the idle jets.

I'd stay with the prop you have until you see what it does. Yes, I think you'll end up with something else but dial it in with this one.

I'm not a fan of putting a bigger gearcase on because of the wierd ratio in the V6 style made for V4's and the ratio for a V6 is too high, in my opinion, for a V4. We do, however, put V4 cases on V6s for acceleration.

Didn't you have a Turbo Jr at one time?

reeldutch

Lieutenant

whenb i start the motor i still have that cough for a few minutes and sometimes a loud bang at initial startup.
it iritates the hell out of me.
the idle air bleed jets i believe are 38c
should i try smaller ones? and than readjust the idle if neccesary?

Dhadly do you think because this is a 87 smallbore bored to 88 std big bore, there is a need to change the idle jets?

thanks

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

I don't know what carburetors you have or if it is relevant, but mine are 1988 stock on my J140TXCCM. The idle air bleeds are #41, also stock.

hoeser

Petty Officer 1st Class

I hear what you are talking about at around 30 seconds into the video, what an odd sound... Doesn't seem harmful to me. I watched it to the end and it sounds perfect the rest of the way through.

hoeser

Petty Officer 1st Class

You know, after listening to this again I realized its the exact same sound I make after eating bad Chinese food. Check your fuel for sweet and sour sauce.