Any problem with bunk guide ons not spaced out?

grimpy

Seaman
What is the negatives of installing bunk guide ons leaving no space between the bunk and hull?

It's not actually tight on the hull just slightly touching it. I can still move the guide on so I would assume there isn't much pressure there... *Note I have a trailer setup so the hull sits on the center rollers and the bunks are pretty much for balancing the boat.

I have it setup like this because at a particular lake that I go to... there is only one launch ramp and the thing is totally lopsided... When I first installed the guide on, I left about an inch on both sides... When I launched it at that lake... it kept sitting on the right side... So I snug fitted the bunk guide ons and it works great...

However, I'm wondering how bad is this for the boat and the reason why it's bad?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Any problem with bunk guide ons not spaced out?

With the Guilde ons I built for my trailer,.....
I use Bungee Straps to Tension the guides against the boat.......

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

other than a little scuffing of the rub rail, i see no problem. i have 1/2" clearance each side.

grimpy

Seaman

Oops... thanks for the info guys... Might need to make a clarification... I meant the bunk guides... Not the PVC guide ons. The bunk guides don't touch the rub rails. They are pretty much just above the waterline touching the hull. I also have PVC guides which touch the rub rails also. I'm a guide on *****... :)

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

I see no problem with the bunk guides up against the side of your hull.

I would however prefer to have bunks cradling the hull versus all the boat weight resting on a few keel rollers.

Imagine the psi loading on each keel roller and the hull at those points.
The boat keel is most likely only resting on a very small spot of the keel roller.
Maybe only 2 sq. inches per roller.
If your boat weighs 1000lbs and you have 5 rollers, your looking at about 100psi at each of those rollers.
Then add the road shock/impact loads being transfer into those same spots from the trailer on rough roads.

grimpy

Seaman

I'm glad you brought that up... Would there be a problem with eliminating the keel rollers and having the boat sit just on bunks? The trailer came factory with the boat and is set up pretty much for the keel rollers... I've seen about four of these boats w/ the same trailers set up the same way... I'm almost positive that the bunks are just to balance the boat.

I did add two more bunks that cradle the V of the hull to furthermore ease the loading of the boat... When I installed these bunks, I just placed them snug with the hull on the trailer still... Pretty much little if any force on these bunks. Did I mention that I have a self centering roller also...

Here are pics of it right now... The hull is shaped weird too... What do you think?

DSC05434.jpg

DSC05433.jpg

DSC05436.jpg

DSC05437.jpg

DSC05441.jpg

Nova II 260

Senior Chief Petty Officer

It's hard to see, but from your last pic is does not look like your main bunks are not supporting your transom at all, they look short. It's not going to help you load, but next time you replace the bunks I would make them long enough to go 1 or 2 inches past your transom then your transom will be supported, as it should be.
Also, if you keep your side bunks tight, I would lube the side bunks and keep from marring or rubbing your gelcoat.

grimpy

Seaman

thanks for the info... what type of lube do you recommend? Something like those spray on bunk slicks?

Nova II 260

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Everyone uses something different, I use CRC silicone spray. Some use soap. some use Liquid Gold or other furiture polish.
There is also a product available at most marina stores liquid rollers

Jerico

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had mine snug against the sides of my tri-hull. It worked great for trailering, but eventually wore the paint down pretty bad in a couple of places where they rubbed.