Fuel (Carb Rebuilt)/ hot spark = No Start???!!!

alkamar

Cadet
I rebuilt the carb, carefully setting the float and checking the needle. I set the Idle screw, fuel mix screw, and fast idle as outlined in the shop manual. I tested the primer with the carb off the powerhead and it will shoot a stream of fuel each time. I also took out and checked the reed stops and reeds and then put new gaskets before reinstalling everything. Both plugs are getting fire and my spark tester shows a 25K spark. This is a 1993 9.9 Merc 2 stroke. I am wearing my arm out trying to start this thing. Am I missing something?:(

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Fuel (Carb Rebuilt)/ hot spark = No Start???!!!

are you sure the plug wires an in the right postion.

alkamar

Cadet

I put in new plugs and followed the FAQ for awakening a sleeping motor. I'm not sure what you mean by the plug wires being in the right position. They are snapped onto the plug with a secure connection. If I ever get it started, then I will decarb it.

Harker

Chief Petty Officer

I think he meant ..is the right wire on the right plug or did they get switched when changing. Are the plugs wet with fuel after trying to start?

alkamar

Cadet

Oh, sorry. The plug wires are so short, it isn't possible to mix the two up. The plugs are wet. I adjusted the idle way up and am now getting the motor to at least hit. I am pushing the primer 2 - 3 times, but should I do more. It shoots a nice stream, so I don't want to flood it.

Windykid

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Try new plugs!

alkamar

Cadet

I have already put in new plugs as stated in my prior post. Should I look at timing?

gss036

Commander

Check your compression, w/o compression, it will not run. Maybe stuck rings.

alkamar

Cadet

Compression is a little over 100. I keep trying and it is hitting now, but I have to give it some throttle for it to hit best. I adjusted the idle up and tried starting fluid, but it doesn't seem to make much difference. I have adjusted the mix screw a bit (between 1.5 to 2 turns out.)

The-Machinist

Petty Officer 1st Class

Starting fluid is a bad idea, use some mixed fuel in a squirt bottle.

alkamar

Cadet

The motor is hitting good, but it just will not start up. Many times it seems like it is about to start, but it never really does. I have pulled the rope so many times that I have blisters on my hands. My brother-in-law pulled until he wore out. This is getting really frustrating.:mad:

billybones

Seaman

push the primer a lot more.. sounds like not enough fuel to me. Can you actually flood it? mercs are cold blooded. from experience and from reading. Worst case you pull the plugs and dry them.. My 7.5 at first start likes it nice and wet to start till it warms up. pump till hard pull three times with choke at full. then couple of pumps then open choke and pull a couple of more times and it starts. dies then couple of pumps with throttle at mid way. good for the day.

Harker

Chief Petty Officer

The idle on the tiller may be set too low..do you have a manual? On my old 67 9.8 the manual says to turn the idle screw 1 turn out from lightly seated...HAH! I finally have it about 2 turns out to idle and run correctly. There is an idle adjustment for the tiller so that the carb is set for starting at a fast idle when the grip pointer says "start"..without a manual it's impossible to explain it to you.

alkamar

Cadet

I just got back from the lake and some people there told me that cheap carb cleaner would get it started and it did. Now I don't have to use it, but I have some adjustments to do to get it running better. I'd have to say that the cheap carb cleaner works at starting where the Sea Foam didn't.