1993 Johnson 150 Tach drops out

I was took my new boat out for the first time the other day and had an interesting development. I had no Tach at WOT. When I ran it at home on the muffs, I had tach all the way up to high idle, and when it was in the water I had the tach as I was idling and no waking it out of the marina...and when I gave it throttle the tach increased. But after I got to WOT, I look down and tach is reading zero. I slow it down and look down and I have tach again, what is goin on here?

Ginder75

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1993 Johnson 150 Tach drops out

Not an expert, but I had a similar condition on my 1992 Johnson 115. I had a blown rectifier. J Reeves has the test procedues on here for ohm testing your rectifier and seeing if that is the problem.

I would also check the wiring harness under the cowl. As you accelerate, parts rotate, and things move. You may have a loose wire or connection.

Like I said, I am not an expert. But the new rectifier fixed my tach and an overcharging problem.

Ginder75

hoeser

Petty Officer 1st Class

Had the same issue on my 84 140... it was the rectifier/regulator. Check to see if you are charging appropriately. Check the battery voltage with engine off and at high idle, you should be seeing ~13V at high idle... if its under 12.5 or over 14V I would say you have a bad regulator.

Well I am an idiot. The tach was working, the tip of the needle is just broken off, so when it was WOT it just looked like it was at 0, the right end of it was pointing at 5200. Yeah im an idiot, noticed it today when i was checking speed.