1967. 18 foot StarCraft Holiday

Tug

Cadet
i want to add a Yamaha F8 kicker to my boat.Problem is that the transom wasn`t built to have two motors side by side.Would like to level and remove some material from the transom in order to accept the kicker motor. Not alot of material would have to be removed as far as i can tell. Has anyone done this and what do you think of this idea, would it damage the overall structure , strenght of the transom? Thank You

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1967. 18 foot StarCraft Holiday

It might be a lot easier to use a kicker motor bracket.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

kicker bracket, alteration would decrease any resale value it has, and weaken the transom.

Tug

Cadet

i have a kicker backet ..probably for a 2 stroke 6HP if i recall. I have used kicker brackets over the yrs. and never liked them.Skews the boat to one side, hard to reach to start and difficult to steer. The wood core of the transom is made in two pieces, the bottom section where the motor rests on and the upper port and starboard pieces. The two pieces were screwed and glued together when i removed the transom to rebuild it. I was thinking that removing a small portion of the side pieces...configuring the transom to look like the transom of a Lund boat wouldn`t effect the strenght of the transom too much, seeing that the wooden part of the transom isn`t one single piece anyway. When i rebuilt my transom i added a 1/8 aluminum skin to the splash well side to add more strenght.But l`m still worried about lossing some transom strenght like you said.Hopefully s-1 has tackled this project before and i can share their experiences.. THANK YOU for your advice...kinda think you may be correct.