Pennzoil XLF

studlymandingo

Commander
I was at Wally World this afternoon picking up some Star Brite Hull Cleaner since it has been all the rave here on the forum, just had to try it for myself! Whilst perusing the boating aisles, I ran across what appears to be a new product, Pennzoil XLF 2-cycle marine oil. It was priced the same as the synthetic-blend oil and it in itself is a synthetic-blend, so I purchased a gallon.

It supposedly is made for high-performance and as well as "seasoned" outboard motors. Has anyone here used this product? Do you guys know what is different from the standard synthetic-blend Pennzoil?​

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Pennzoil XLF

As far as I've been able to determine all that's different between XLF and the previous edition is the label and the price. My WalMart was closing out the old stuff so I loaded up on Pennzoil synthetic blend for $7.00 a gallon last winter.

studlymandingo

Commander

I would have certainly stocked up on the $7 oil as well!!! Great buy!

I kinda thought it was about the same stuff, it was on the shelves beside the regular syn-blend for the same price.​

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

What brand synthetic do you guys usually use? I looked at Wally world and only could find regular 2 stroke oil. Pennzoil and Wally brand..

studlymandingo

Commander

Someone has a new avatar;)

We have a Super WalMart here in Saint Pete; they have a pretty good selection of 2-cycle oils. 1 gallon is $12 for the syn-blend Pennzoil. Full-synthetic Pennzoil is a few dollars more.​

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I'll have to look for the Pennzoil blend. Heck,the Wally brand was 12 bucks here..

(had to change the Avatar)..;)

AguaSki

Chief Petty Officer

When my Wal-Mart closed out the old synthetic blend it was $2.50 a gallon. They now have the new stuff, but I don't need it because I cleaned out the last 7 gallons of the old stuff. I think the new stuff is going for about $12 now.

LubeDude

Admiral

Do you guys know what is different from the standard synthetic-blend Pennzoil?​

This new oil, [???????] is marketed for "Seasoned" engines that have been in service for a few years. I am only guessing here, but like the auto oils marketed for this same purpose, they probably have an additive to keep seals soft. I don't agree with this plan as I think it will cause premature seal leakage and failure in time. A lot of testing is done with regular oils to regulate seal expansion. Time will tell.

studlymandingo

Commander

It also says on the container that it is suitable for newer high-horsepower motors as well. I dunno, maybe it's just a marketing ploy.

Here's what they have to say:​

Pennzoil Marine? XLF Extended Life Formula TC-W3? Outboard 2-cycle Synthetic Blend Oil was developed for engines that are "seasoned" or have been in service for a few years. The robust formulation makes this oil also very suitable for new high displacement/horsepower carbureted or direct injection outboard motors.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I was wondering the same thing. This is from the Pennzoil web site.

I don't know. Sounds like a step backwards to me. It also doesn't say anything about discontinuing the Premium plus.

Pennzoil Marine? XLF Extended Life Formula TC-W3? Outboard 2-cycle Synthetic Blend Oil was developed for engines that are "seasoned" or have been in service for a few years. The robust formulation makes this oil also very suitable for new high displacement/horsepower carbureted or direct injection outboard motors.

Pennzoil Marine? XLF is formulated to a higher lubricity limit than the NMMA AF-27 lubricity test to provide EXCELLENT protection against piston scuffing and reduced wear. Whether fishing or leisure boating, commercial or recreational, Pennzoil? XLF will help keep your investment running smooth and strong for years.

Pennzoil Marine? Premium Plus outboard 2-cycle synthetic blend oil is specially designed for exceptional performance in marine applications. Formulated with an extra level of performance additives to protect outboard engines under the most severe operating conditions.

Pennzoil Marine? Premium Plus outboard 2-cycle oil is recommended for premix and injector systems; meets or exceeds the highest NMMA requirements and the most stringent engine manufacturer warranties, including Johnson/Evinrude, Mercury Marine, Yamaha, Suzuki, Nissan, Force/US Marine, Mariner and others requiring TC-W3? oils.