Is this a decent hull for my purposes?

storysunfolding

Seaman Apprentice
I picked up an old 69 larson trihull that I was going to replace the floor in and use for dicking around and skiing. She's in fairly decent shape but changing the floor is going to be timely and expensive.

I ran across this on craigslist http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/boa/344126706.html

and thought that my 85 hp outboard (boat is rated for up to 120) would be a good combination for poking around the chesapeke and it's branches of rivers and sounds. Assuming I don't find anything wrong with the hull itself, is this a decent combination for what I'm looking to put together, that is a budget boat that will do what I need it to?

Thanks for reading

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Is this a decent hull for my purposes?

I would want a decent snap in bow cover that insured I would get no wind under the windshield and especially no water into the hull if you "poke" one . . . Other than that, looks pretty good to me.

storysunfolding

Seaman Apprentice

I would want a decent snap in bow cover that insured I would get no wind under the windshield and especially no water into the hull if you "poke" one . . . Other than that, looks pretty good to me.

If the boat doesn't have one I imagine this wouldn't be too hard to make myself. I make a top for my wrangler once and this seems like it'd be less involved right?

QC

Supreme Mariner

If you made a top for your Wrangler this would be cake . . . Just need good material, and it needs to fit tightly with snaps. I would just want to be able to isolate the cockpit from the weather when dealing with Salt and big water . . .

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

canvas, snaps, and a center support leg, your in business. if you can find a johnson or evinrude 88 special or a 90 it would be a good combo.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

an 85 or 90 would push that boat very nicely. I'm sure you could get it for $500. Not a lot of value in a hull without even a dead motor on it to part out.

storysunfolding

Seaman Apprentice

I talked to the guy but haven't been able to coordinate a time to see the boat yet. He also has a same year sunbird corsair for sale for $800 that's in slightly better shape. Which boat do you think would be a better match?

storysunfolding

Seaman Apprentice

The corsair wasn't pretty but she was the hull I went with. I managed to talk him down a bit as a wild cat had ripped a hole in one of the seats. Other than being dirty and having faded seats I couldn't find anything wrong with her. The tops are in poor condition but I'll just get some sailcloth, use them as templates and have a nice new one ready in no time. The trailer isn't ideal but I'm going to take the trihull to the dump and use it's ez loader with it's galvanized metal and rollers.

I'll take some pictures when I get it and start a new thread on making it mine. I've almost finished work on the motor (carbs cleaners, inline fuel filter added, new fuel lines, new fuel pump, new ignition coil, new plugs, new impeller, new gear oil for electronic shift) and hopefully I can throw that on this week and do a few land based tests (bought an adaptor for the hose) then a few water tests and maybe- just maybe be putzing around the potomac by sunday.