trailering a trihull?

slvrwolf1

Seaman
I recently bought a 1973 ensign trihull and I am having problems getting it back on trailer. I have a 1956 v bottom alluminum boat that is never a problem trailering but I try with trihull and it slips off or something everytime.

I dont know what kind of trailer I have I do know it has tilt feature but I back in with little boat until bunks are about half covered and it is fine but with this one, the trihull slips when I hit bunks. If I go in farther my roller guides on the back are barely visible and I ride up on them or current will wash me up on them before I take out. I guess question is how far should I be in water to get trihull on trailer. I usually try about 5 times and then wade out to finish getting it straight. kind of embarrasing sometimes.
thanks for any help.

180shabah

Rear Admiral
Re: trailering a trihull?

Less trailer in the water, let the winch do the work.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

out some guide ons, on it. solve the problem with the current. allow 1 inch clearance on the widest part of the boat.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

I do it with guide-ons, side bunks, and self-centering keel rollers.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

"I do it with guide-ons, side bunks, and self-centering keel rollers." (jtexas)

Me too when I had one and drove it on (18' Caravelle, 125 Johnny). Piece of cake when you get it setup.

Mark

slvrwolf1

Seaman

thanks for your help guys. I think I found my problem. The ramp I use has kids throwing big rocks in all the time and my trailer isnt level when I am loading. I actually took a minute stepped back and looked at the situation the other day to see the problem. One side of the trailer was deeper than the other and I guess it really made a difference. I moved trailer over just a little and boat when on fine. I guess it didnt matter with smaller boat but this trihull is easier with trailer level.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Agree on a level trailer making all the difference.

Mark

dickenscpa

Cadet

I've been researching here for a few months now, but just signed up today. I would be very interested in seeing some pics of your boat. I recently (3/31/07) bought a 1973 14' tri-hull Ensign. Is that your boat in your avatar? If so, my boat doesn't look anything like yours. Mine is that pea-green color with black speckles all over it.

slvrwolf1

Seaman

yeah the boat in the avatar is the one. It is a 73 ensign 15 foot trihull. 75 hp evinrude bought it for $400 had a rotted transom and need carbs cleaned but it is a great boat.

reelfishin

Captain

On both of my trihulls I have the bunks lined up between the hulls, it sort of centers itself. The bunks are long enough to stay in between the hulls even when fully loaded. The self centering keel roller may help too if you need it.
I don't really worry much about centering, it just falls into place so easy. I leave about 1/3 of my bunks out of the water, tap the throttle and up it goes. I winch it the last foot or so while still in the water.