'68 55hp Rude loss of power at WOT

jglad

Seaman Apprentice
OK, So I cleaned and overhauled my carbs, changed all of the fuel lines, put fresh gas in a new tank (mixed 50:1) and got my motor (55873R) running again, but now if I give it more than half throttle, it bogs and won't go any faster and I have to back it off to keep it from dying. Also the primer bulb won't stay firm and I have to keep pumping it to keep the pressure up.

The only thing I can think of is the fuel pump needs to be rebuilt, any body else have ideas?

Thanks.

PS- the hose from the tank to the motor looks pretty new and doesn't seem to leak.

Last edited:

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: '68 55hp Rude loss of power at WOT

did you remove & clean the high speed jets also? the bulb is only suppose to be firm when starting.

jglad

Seaman Apprentice

I had them all apart, except for the plain metal overs, whatever they are.

Soaked them in Chemtool for 20 minutes each and then blew them out with air.

PS- are those the little hex screws in the float bowl behind the float bowl plug? I didn't remove them, I just soaked the whole bowl in the Chemtool.

Last edited:

jglad

Seaman Apprentice

Does anybody know if that is the high speed jet in the bottom of the float bowl, behind the drain plug?

On the Evinrude web site, it just says: #35- orifice plug

If that is it; I guess I may need to remove them and clean them, I thought they would get clean when I soaked the whole float bowl.

Thanks.

kauboy

Seaman

Yep, that is indeed the high speed jet/orifice.
Just get the proper sized flathead screwdriver and unscrew that little dude. Take a peek through it and make sure its nice and clean. it probably did get cleaned when dunked. I know mine did, but I took 'em out afterwards to check, just in case.
BTW, I've got a '69 55 and they are very similar but doesn't look anywhere close to as good as yours. Did you repaint it, or was it always kept in good condition?

jglad

Seaman Apprentice

Yep, that is indeed the high speed jet/orifice.
Just get the proper sized flathead screwdriver and unscrew that little dude. Take a peek through it and make sure its nice and clean. it probably did get cleaned when dunked. I know mine did, but I took 'em out afterwards to check, just in case.
BTW, I've got a '69 55 and they are very similar but doesn't look anywhere close to as good as yours. Did you repaint it, or was it always kept in good condition?

Thanks for the help, I have a fuel pump kit on order and I will put that in this week, but I guess I should take a look at those jets, too.

I have no idea if the motor has been repainted or not, I just bought the boat last summer. I think it may have been restored, because the boat was repainted brown and tan from the original light blue and white.