Adding storage under the back-to-back seats

lotusing

Seaman
Well as i am restoring this 17 capri cuddy i noticed that there isn't storage under the either back-to-back seats.can it be cut into to make a storage spot and has anybody done this?

JAL51974

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Adding storage under the back-to-back seats

I am thinking of doing the same thing on mine. Seems like a lot of wasted space there, and with a door of some sort on the aisle side you could put a lot of things in there that now clutter the floor!
Have you tried it yet?

Rob454

Chief Petty Officer

I did it on my buddys wellcraft. I measured and cut the carpet out leaving abotu 1 1/2 inch of carpet. then I peeled it back and did my cutting. just traced a square then rounded off the corners. then i cut the shape out with a scroll saw. Then I sanded it down and then pulled the carpet I originally stre6ched out to wrap around the hole edges I just cut. then I took some SS hinges and screws and screwed the hinged and door. i made the hinges on the bottom and its made to open to the center of the boat. I got a simple latch with a spring load so you have to pull down on the latch to open the door.\pretty simple took about 2 hours. im gonna do it to my boat also. i jsut did it to his because we were bored and he wanted to do something
Rob

JAL51974

Chief Petty Officer

the question is what is in there on the old bayliners? on the boc site some guys found foam in certain model years.

mixerjv

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Bayliner used the area for foam floatation to ensure it still floats when swamped (CG Requirement for boats that size). If you remove the foam, you should add some in another area, many owners have put it under the gunwale.