NO Service Manual for 1955 Evinrude????

55'Fleetwin7.5

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey Guys...
I am trying to be good and do things by the book. Problem is, I have no book! I tried buying an online subscription through iboats... They don't mention that it starts in the 1970's. Then I called SELOC. Their paper vervion starts in 1956. I have a 1955... Might be ok. I don't know. Saw an original manual on ebay... It startts in 1954! Is this some cruel joke? Was 1955 some red headed step child? Any advice here? I would really like to do thins the right way. Thanks in advance. tc

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: NO Service Manual for 1955 Evinrude????

I think that you would find the factory manual to be of more use than the aftermarket ones that you are looking at: New copies are available from Ken Cook. Here is a FAQ listing in the BRP website, the first question has the link for Ken Cook:

http://www.evinrude.com/en-US/About.Us/FAQ/Older.Vintage.Products.htm

BTW, the best way to deal with Ken Cook is by phone.

The OMC service manuals usually covered several models and several years.

http://www.kencook.com/evinrudejohnsonmanuals/index.cfm?fuseaction=models.main&year=1955&ID=52825

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The Evinrude service manual for those years wasn't the greatest thing that ever came along. Too comprehensive for too many models for too many years. A lot of information that you don't need. It was what the dealers used, though. I have one and it is a good two inches thick.

Ken Cook Co. probably has them at a hefty price.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

The 56 manual would be very close.
have you tried kencook.com they have all kinds of factory reprint manuals.
But if it was me I would be working from a 56.
My after market manual covering many brands The 7.5 and 10 hp E/J are covered together 55-63 with only a couple of sub notes specific to the Hp difference. Carb blowups look very similar 5.5 hp to 25 hp with some subtle differences in linkage,choke set up and of course size.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

You will find that the 55 engine's were all very basic model's, Mag.'s, carb's, gearcase's were one basic de.sign from 3HP, at the small end, to 25HP at the large end. If you copuld fix one, you could fix them all. What engine are you dealing with?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

For the parts you're dealing with, the '56 & up is fine. The carbs were same. Igntiions were same. Lower units were same. Powerhead internals were the same. Major differences dealt with silencing of powerhead (no lower cowling on '55 & prior 7.5s) and a different exhaust housing - neither of which should give you much of an issue in fixing if there's a problem...
- Scott

wbeaton

Commander

I own both a 1955 and a 1956 7.5 hp Evinrude and they are exactly like Chinewalker says. I also have both the pre and post 1956 Evinrude shop manuals and they both suck equally. However, they are slightly better than the Seloc manual I have for 1956-1971. If I only had one to choose from I'd probably still go with the Seloc only because it details how to take things apart better, which is better when you are starting out. After you do a few repairs, you'll find that motor is so simple you won't need a manual.

55'Fleetwin7.5

Petty Officer 1st Class

I ordered a manual from Ken Cook... Bad mistake? It wasn't cheap but I was told it was a good one. Your thoughts?

wbeaton

Commander

That will be the factory manual. Can't go wrong with that.

hammerhandle

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You may also check out the library , sounds a little corny, but they had alot of different manuals for early motors at my local branch. Still a good idea to have your own though.