1971 125hp evinrude. HELP. PROBLEMS

poppins

Seaman Apprentice
Well I purchased a boat a motor from a friend. The motor that came with the boat is a 125hp evinrude. 1971 model. It has electric start. The problem im having is when I turn the key, the starter jumps to engage but will not spin the fly wheel on top. Also I noticed that the prop will only spin one way. Thanks for any help.:)

bowrider

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1971 125hp evinrude. HELP. PROBLEMS

First check that you have a FULLY charged battery. If you do, check all wiring contacts are clean and free of rust. If all this checks oyt, you will need to diagnose the stater solenoid or the starter itself.
An easy test is connect the battery directly to the pos/gnd to the starter. Careful it could start.

Also I noticed that the prop will only spin one way. Thanks for any help.:)
When? Spining in neutral or in gear?

poppins

Seaman Apprentice

The boat had sat up for a year or more. I made sure it was a full battery. I charged mine the whole day before. Actually I thought it was the solenoid, but the starter engages and also the electric choke works also. Where can i find a new solenoid at a good price. Maybe the solenoid needs replacing?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The motor has to be running in order for the shift to work.

Don't run out an buy parts (solenoid) without diagnosing the problem. Best way is with a voltmeter. Second best is jumper cable directly to the starter as already suggested. The solenoid is probably the least likely culprit.

poppins

Seaman Apprentice

In order for the shift to work the motor has to be running. Was this a comment on the prop only spinning one direction? I guess if the solenoid is starting the starter and working the choke, It works. Is it possible the solenoid is not giving th starter enough juice. Thanks for everything guys.

bowrider

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My money is on the starter, do the jumper cable test.

poppins

Seaman Apprentice

Where exactly do I put the positive and negative on the starter?

bowrider

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Where exactly do I put the positive and negative on the starter?
Negative=ground, the starter grounds to the engine block thru the mounting bolts.
POSITIVE: Red cable coming from the solenoid, and to starter. Dettach it from the solenoid before testing.
If you have good charge and won't engage the flywheel, replace the starter.

poppins

Seaman Apprentice

The starter engages the flywheel as of right now with the battery. Do I still need to try the jumpers? Could it be possible the engine is froze up?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

take the plugs out, should be able to turn motor over by hand. if it turns it's not froze up. if it doesn't turn drop the lower unit and then try. the lower could be froze up, since electric shift this would not let the powerhead turn. also read this thread, http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=199136

poppins

Seaman Apprentice

Ive tried starting it with the plugs out and pulling the fly wheel by hand. I got it to spin one time only and then that was it. If I do take the lower unit off what exactly am I looking for. Thanks for everything

poppins

Seaman Apprentice

well I spoke with a local boat shop here in baton rouge, la. hte mechanic told me that it sounds like the motor is froze. I'm going to try dropping the lower unit and see if the fly wheel will spin then. Thanks

hoeser

Petty Officer 1st Class

How far did you get it to spin that one time and how hard was it to turn? If it moved at all it with any degree of ease it sounds to me like its the lower unit... maybe stuck in gear.

poppins

Seaman Apprentice

Well the time i got it to spin, was very hard. It didnt come with ease. Im just going to remove the lower unit

hoeser

Petty Officer 1st Class

Did you notice if the prop was moving as you were turning it at the flywheel?

poppins

Seaman Apprentice

I dont think the flywheel spun, not to sure though. Lets say that the lower unit is froze. How do I unfreeze it?

poppins

Seaman Apprentice

well we attempted to try and use the rope again tonight. The flywheel spun barely(small incraments at a time). So I guess i ll need to take the lower unit off? Also the prop only spins one way, I guess with the lower unit off, it wont matter?

poppins

Seaman Apprentice

If i have to get some replacement parts, are Johnson motors the exact same or interchangeable.