Is this bad?

jhamner

Cadet
I have been looking to buy a 2000 Caravelle Interceptor 232 locally. I took it for a test run on Saturday but before I could, I noticed a hose was loose that connects the lower unit to the motor. I'm guessing and it was suggested that this hose is for water circulation. While I replaced the hose clamp, I noticed a small hole about the size of a quarter in the lower unit itself just above the hose fitting. If this hose is for the water circulation, it didn't seem to effect the temp sensor. So is this hole bad?

180shabah

Rear Admiral
Re: Is this bad?

Knowing what drive you are talking about would help, as would some pictures.

jhamner

Cadet

Sorry about that. I forgot to list it. Its a Mercruiser 350 with the Alpha 1 lower unit. The Caravelle website lists the Bravo 1 on their newer models but I'm pretty sure I saw the Alpha 1 logo on the lower unit while I was hooking this hose back up.

I don't have any pictures. I may be able to get some tonight.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,............ Welcome Aboard, to the forums here at iboats..........

Unfortunately,............ I just Can't visualize Which Hose,+ Which Hole you're explaining.......
Alpha or Bravo,.......

This place here has Alot of beginner Info,...... With Pictures..........

Have a Look around,+ Maybe you'll be able to point out Exactly Where your issue lies...........

Good Luck........

jhamner

Cadet

I checked it out tonight and will have pics up soon. I'm about 95% sure its the water intake and the hole leads to the same cavity that the hose is hooked up to, so its all the same chamber. I guess the only real problem would be suction and possibly sucking in large debris.

frayed knot

Seaman Apprentice

The raw water pump is in the outdrive and the circulation pump is on the front of the engine. If the boat is moving any speed at all, you can't suck anything up with just a hose flopping around. I can't visualize what hose you are talking about either. I have an Alpha 1, and there aren't any hoses you can just reach in and hook up. Unless you are talking about inside the boat.

jhamner

Cadet

It is indeed the Alpha 1. There is a large hose. I have attached pics. The left side of the pic is the lower unit. The right side of the pic is the transom. The hose leads into the transom at where I think the water pump is. I'm lying down on the ground and looking up to take these pics.

Attachments

• DSCF0504.JPG
    DSCF0504.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF0505.JPG
    DSCF0505.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF0506.JPG
    DSCF0506.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 0

thrasher

Chief Petty Officer

The hole definately should not be there. That looks like the exhaust outlet, not the water inlet, there will be water in there as water get's mixed in the raiser with the exhaust gasses. The hole should be blocked as it will fill the engine bay with exhaust fumes and could cause any traped explosive gases in the engine bay to explode. I think you need to change the broken part as I can't see any easy way to fix it.

Gary

jhamner

Cadet

Ha, well that would explain the black dust inside the fitting. Could it be TIG welded?

jhamner

Cadet

Is this what I need to replace? It looks like it from what I can tell. If I can get by with this, I'll have the guy knock it off the price of the boat.

Attachments

• O-Mercruiser-Alpha-One-bell-housing-layout.jpg
    O-Mercruiser-Alpha-One-bell-housing-layout.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 0

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

That looks to me to be your EXHAUST BELLOWS,and your water intake is on the port & starb. side of your lower unit, looks like 4 inch high vents on either side,(were you attach the muffs). IS the exhaust bellows(hose) intact or torn up?? You might get lucky and be able to re-attach it,I'd use bellows adhesive too.

jhamner

Cadet

Yes I can attach the hose. It is in good shape. Its just missing a hose clamp. What about the hole? Can you point me in the direction of replacement? Or am I going to have to replace part of the lower unit?

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

Will the hose cover the hole completely if you clamp her down????

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

If you just attach the hose you will be fine.

you can stick your finger through the large exhaust opening and out that hole right?

jhamner

Cadet

No the hose won't cover the hole. Can anyone identify the part with the hole in it? The hose in the pic IS the exhaust bellow.

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

DO YOU WANT THE GOOD NEWS OR THE BAD NEWS FIRST?? The bad news first is your (bell housing) might need to be replaced,I saw the hole you are talking about.It is unattached farthest away from boat,Yes??not toward stern?? The good news would be ,you won"t have to remove the (gimble housing)too. It looks to me something hit it to do that. Yes that is the exhaust bellow.

jhamner

Cadet

I was starting to lean towards bell housing after some long research tonight. Thanks for all the responses. A new bell housing doesn't look too expensive. I'm guessing its going to be a lot of work to replace it though. The exhaust bellow is unattached away from the transom. Its unattached at the lower unit. Can anyone describe how to fix this or at least the major steps? Can I use the boat for the rest of the season before I fix it or is this a major issue?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Yes..its the bellhousing...is it critical...I don't think so. Get the money for the bellhousing from the seller and replace at your leisure.

There must have been a piece of wood or something under there when someone lowered the drive and broke the casting.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

jahmmer - get a stainless hose clamp and reconnect the bellows, you may get luck and be able to get it on without pulling the drive off. Once it is back together, run it. The damage you show in the pictures is in the exhaust cavity and should not create any new problems (risk of sinking etc.) Actually, you could get away with running it like it is except you risk destroying the ujoint bellows if the drive pushes the exhaust bellows up into it when lowered.

thrasher - that hole will not let exhaust fumes into the engine compartment, and it will not create any additional explosion risk.

sker crunch

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Bruce....do you suppose the tilt cylinders weren't holding pressure and they used something as you said to hold the drive up and it broke the casting and pushed the exhaust bellows off as it sank? The scrape marks on the exhaust tube look pretty nasty.