Winch handle

ericspin

Cadet
I have a Chaparral Sunesta and have been having troubles with my winch handle. Also I have broken three winch straps loading it ono the trailer. Because the bow of the boat is more flat than a deep vee hull the handle hits the boat as I am cranking. The winch is mounted about as low as possible. I hesitate to modify the handle too much. Also the thing is a bear to pull up with the winch and I have broken the strap while cranking on the winch, typically about 12" behind the bow hook. Any ideas? Should I change to a cable on the winch? What about a two speed winch so I could move the handle as I got the boat up close?

Thanks,
Eric

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Winch handle

How big is the Chaparral?

What size/capacity strap are you using? There are many different capacity 2" straps available.

ericspin

Cadet

Sunesta 216. Basically a 20-21 footer. Good question on the strap...it was supplied with the winch / trailer which was sold to me with the boat. You would think that the dealer would have sized it correctly but I guess the responsibility is mine to know if it is correct. You know, this is the first boat trailer I have had with the strap but I gotta say that I feel more comfortable with the cable.

ericspin

Cadet

More info...the boat weighs 4000 lb dry. I checked the strap and it is rated for 2650 lbs and states that it is designed to break at 4000 lbs. Seems like I should not be having this _breaking_ trouble.

Eric

Pony

Rear Admiral

Dont forget you are winching up a motor, fuel and accessories too.......not to mention the coeficient of friction against the bunks. The fact that you are winching at an angle up ramp and not on a horizontal surface is increasing the amount of force on the strap as well.

I am surprised that 4000lb breaking point strap hasnt broken more often.....

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

To solve your problem you will need a longer bow roller/winch mount bracket. You can also back the trailer in a little deeper which will relieve some of the tension on the strap because the boat will float a little further onto the trailer.

Nova II 260

Senior Chief Petty Officer

A two speed winch helps the winch wench, but does nothing for the strenght or strap load. Lubing your bunks or slip strips, may help. You could also try raising your front bunks so they mate with the hull first (in relation to your main rear bunks.) when loading.

Bondo

Staff member

You can also back the trailer in a little deeper which will relieve some of the tension on the strap because the boat will float a little further onto the trailer.

Ayuh,................

I like the dunking the wagon Idea..........

Floating it on the trailer is Much Easier........

It sounds like you're trying to Winch it on from Way Too Shallow............

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i have a Chris Craft 230 deckboat, had the same problem with the winch, readjusted the winch stand, also deeper in the water, i float within 4 inches of the bow stop. i also have and advantage of an extra long trailer 32 feet i have 8 feet from bow stop to the hitch, so i can get deep.

Pony

Rear Admiral

Its threads like this that make me glad I own a pretty light boat. I rarely use the winch at all. I often can just take my docking line which is attached at the bow anyways and stand on my running board and pull the boat up the trailer.......then just clip it to the winch and drive away.;)

When I had a trihull though I know we broke a couple of straps. Switched to a steel cable, but it always seemed to have too much "memory" and curl up everywhere.

Really I think its just finding the right depth to back the trailer in at that makes it easiest for you.

ericspin

Cadet

Thanks for all the responses. The bunk lubing deal is a great reminder. I used to do that with my Grady (another heavy boat) and I remeber it worked well. I will also try getting the trailer deeper....I guess I am always a little wary of getting the rear wheels in the slippery stuff.

Again, thanks for all the responses so far.

Eric

ferrellb

Seaman Apprentice

I may sound like I am talking out of boh sides of my mouth but....

1) Bunk lube is a great idea and I use it.

2) Don't use too much!

I simply buy silicone spray from a auto store (WD-40 is not good for the hull allegedly). Try it a little at a time until you find the right amount. After that, I leave it in my tow vehicle and maybe reapply lightly once every 12 times out. If you put too much on, you can regret it. You dont want the boat sliding all over the bunks. I sprayed too much on my first time. When I undid my transom straps and bow hook at waters edge the boat started sliding off by gravity alone. Had to grab it rehook and adapt!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I would suggest not using bunk lube. A would trade the safety of the bunk friction for ease of launching/retreiving.

salty87

Commander

were those all new straps? you're pulling a load not lifting straight up so you shouldn't be anywhere near 4k lbs tension.

i've had a strap break, about 12" from the hook end as you describe. mine was old and rotted. i'm wondering if you release the tension on your strap after you're home and unhitched from the truck? it won't stop the strap from rotting but will extend the life a little.

ferrellb

Seaman Apprentice

Is this the normal procedure for boating (losening the strap when parked in the garage)? I have never heard of doing this before. I guess it makes sense provided you are completely level and remember to rehook and tighten before trailering. If this is normal, I am suprised I never heard of it before.

salty87

Commander

ferrelb, i try to avoid using the word normal around here. haha

i let the tension off my strap (cable now that my last strap broke), i don't unhook. it helps the strap last a little longer and also lets the pressure off your bow eye/fiberglass. you don't have to be completely level although i'd be careful if you've used silicone. i tighten it back up (not even a full rotation of the handle) when i hitch up to the truck.

if the OP is having that much trouble and breaking straps, he's got to have a bunch of tension built up by the time the bow hits the bow stop.

ferrellb

Seaman Apprentice

Salty87,

Thanks for the explaination. It especially makes sense about the fiberglass pressure. My brand new belt is showing some very early fraying. I park in a completely flat enclosed garage; no chance of movement. I am going to add this to my Standard Operating Procedures. Thanks again.

ArtB

Seaman Apprentice

Maybe someone can offer me a suggestion.

I have a 16 ft. Alumacraft that is somewhat hard to load on my EasyLoadr trailer. I find that to get it lined up, I have to barely submerge the rear (self centering) roller and pull out the winch strap to reach it. Even with nylon glides (sometimes lubricated) on my bunks, it still puts too much strain on the winch strap so I have my wife gradually back the trailer as I winch the boat in. It works but is kind of a pain and, of course, I am in the water in hip boots.

I also have PVC guide-ons but they don't help much because they are mounted at the rear and and the boat is wider in the middle - at least at the gun'l. I suppose that I could mount them further forward or use roller or board type guides. Anyone have any thoughts?

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y100/artburr/100_0910.jpg

Last edited:

Al Kungel

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When I store my boat at home I always take the tension off the winch strap and the tie down straps.

Nova II 260

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I also have PVC guide-ons but they don't help much because they are mounted at the rear and and the boat is wider in the middle - at least at the gun'l.

The guide-on's should have enough play or be spaced to clear your girth. I have the same issue, about 6" difference total from the middle to the rear. Since I keep mine relatively tight against the rubrail, they just flex.
Perhaps side mounted bunks would help you.