Does A Jack Plate Realy Help?

J BLANK

Seaman Apprentice
I Have Got A 2000 17' Stratus 268 With A 115 Rude On It And I Wanted To Put A 4" Jack Plate On It If It Really Helped The Performance Part Of The Boat. I Need Some Answers Before I Install It. Anyones Input Would Be Appreciated.

J Blank

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Does A Jack Plate Realy Help?

No question a jack plate could help.But I think you need to optimize your setup first.Motor height and trim,motor condition,Speed and rpm,prop size.
Depending on your present setup you could gain 2 to 5 mph without spending a dime.

J BLANK

Seaman Apprentice

I Already Have The Jack Plate. It Came Off Of Another Boat I Had So I Wouldn't Be Out Any Money. Question: Would I Leave The Motor The Same Height As Before I Put On The Plate? And Should I Mark It Some How As To Know I Am Putting It Back At That Same Height?

J Blank

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I'm not an expert but::
You'll probably end up raising it some but start at the same height.
Then raise it a little at a time until venting becomes a problem.Also be sure it pumps water and you raise it.Once you get it all set up you may be able to reprop and squeeze out a little more.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Keep an eye on your steering arm. The "cheap" jack plate testing could screw up the steering or kink the cable.

studlymandingo

Commander

I recently installed a Jack Plate with 10" setback; it made a marked improvement in the feel of the boat as well as pushing my top end up by an additional 4mph. I was able to reduce the wetted surface of the hull considerably which is what improved the speed, and the setback put the motor in less turbulent water as well as making more of a lever.

If you have it, I would put it on, if nothing else it looks cool!:cool:

J BLANK

Seaman Apprentice

I Really Appreciate All The Help, I Think I Will Put It On, It Won't Cost Me Anything To Try And I Will Let You Know How It Does.

"a Bad Day On The Water Is Better Than A Good Day At Work"