AQ 130 troubles

jigglestick

Cadet
this is turning into a perplexing kettle of worms of sorts.

I am trying to get this motor running, but my compression check came up sour.

140 - 102 - 102 - 26

the motor has not run for a while and I just installed it last fall.
I was told it was a good running engine by the man I bought the houseboat from.
I can get it to turn over but like you would suspect, it woill only fire real well on one cylinder.
if i can get it to turn over fast enough, it runs. I can tell one cylinder is weak by listening to it.
I was hpoing I have stuck rings from sitting, but feared a cracked block.
no frost plugs are popped out, I checked the cylinders and no sign of water, and the engine oil looks clear, like new, with no sign of water, even after turning it over several times and having it running for about ten seconds, three different times.
now I am having trouble getting it to turn over fast enough to start it again.
GRRRRRR!
I would rather put a different engine in it than try to rebuild it.
I was told parts were spendy.
it's got me scratching my head.
I did take the valve cover off to see if any of the valves were stuck, but everything looks pretty good there?????

Windykid

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: AQ 130 troubles

First check and clean all battery conections.

Then check and clean starter conections.

Then look for engine ground strap and clean its conections.

jigglestick

Cadet

First check and clean all battery conections.

Then check and clean starter conections.

Then look for engine ground strap and clean its conections.

thanks kid,
allready done that.
every thing is pretty easy to access that way.
I even tried heavier cables.
still trying...

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You can do a couple things. Do a cylinder leak down test and/or add oil to the cylinders to see if it is the rings or the valves.

jigglestick

Cadet

I have put oil in the cylinders a couple of times now. the compression did not change.
what is this leak down test, and what exactly does it tell me?
I am near ready to pull the head to inspect the cylinder walls for scores or cracks.

how hard is it to obtain gaskets for these motors.
I'm not even sure where to start looking for parts.

Starflight

Seaman

the compression test with oil in the cyl should increase in pressure if the loss is due to piston rings. the pressure not increasing would indicate a valve or head, head gasket problem. the leak down test is presurizing the cyl's through the spark plug hole. w/ both valves closed and listen for where the air is leaking i.e. you hear it though the intake, or exaust, or crankcase. pull the valve cover and see if anything is wrong there. turn the engine over and see if all valves are moving. beyond the above testing, your going to have to pull the head.
I have the aq130c. I had a crack between valves on cyl #4. the valve seats are not hardened. my valve seats were rough, and the engine only had about 130hrs total time when I pulled the head. the lack of lead in the fuel causes problems w/ valves.
Marine Parts Express dot com has the parts you'll need.

Last edited:

jigglestick

Cadet

well I found out what one of my problems is...sort of.
the reason it was turning over so hard is that there is a problem in the 270 out drive.
I removed it from the housing on the back of the boat and I can not turn the input shaft into the outdrive at all.
I have a spare..thank god.(and my brother).
the motor now spins right over and it fired up imediately.
I hooked up water and letr her run for a couple minutes.
the more it ran, the smoother it ran.
the problem with the motor is now, I have water leaking out from under the manifold somewhere.
I used a mirror to look for the leak, but the closest I can come is a frost plug( I hope I hope).
being in the shape I'm in now, I'm wondering if I would be better off to go to a merc-cruiser I-O that has become available to me for $450.00
in running order.
it's a 170 horse, four cylinder. I do not know much about these, and I know I will have to re-configure the hole in the transome which is steel.
if these volvo's are to high of maintanance, maybe the merc is the way to go for the long haul......???
any opinions?

Starflight

Seaman

170h/p 4 banger? sounds like the infamous merc 470. I have read that its taboo to buy 1 of those. You might want to do a search and research that engine. It's a can of worms from hell from what I read. I'd rebuild my aq130 before I bought into a 470 merc.

btw... I love my Volvo its a great little setup. Its not known to be problematic. Volvo used it for decades in cars, boats, and tractors. Its a tough little work horse. (its the volvo b-20 engine)

jigglestick

Cadet

170h/p 4 banger? sounds like the infamous merc 470. I have read that its taboo to buy 1 of those. You might want to do a search and research that engine. It's a can of worms from hell from what I read. I'd rebuild my aq130 before I bought into a 470 merc.

btw... I love my Volvo its a great little setup. Its not known to be problematic. Volvo used it for decades in cars, boats, and tractors. Its a tough little work horse. (its the volvo b-20 engine)

If I was to rebuild this volvo, where would I statr to look for parts for it?

what about the problems with the non hardened valv seats?
would a lead additive help with that?
can a guy still get it even?

I just want to cruise around on the lake with out having to worry about the motor all the time.
I would like to go into some remote locations and not have to worry about the motor starting fifty miles from no-where. that would just suck.

it would be nice to not have to reconfigure the hole in the transome.

Starflight

Seaman

I pulled my head and had a machine shop install hardened seats, new valve stem seals(originally didn't have them). They shaved the head and reground the valves. Machine shop charged me $200. I myself ported the exaust ports directly behind the valve. Looked to be too restrictive to me.
The head gasket set(includes everything you need) cost me , if I remember correctly, $155 from Marine Parts Express dot com. They will have everything you will need for your engine and outdrv.
If I had to rebuild the lower end of the engine, I'd get the rebuild kit from Napa for a 75 B-20 Volvo. My head gasket has to come from Marine Parts express. They are the only place I can find the high compression gasket for the aq130C.

jigglestick

Cadet

starflight, I appreciate your advice.
can you tell me this -- my source of my engine block water leak appears now to be the frost plug only.
the plug was pushed out a bit. not to far, but obviously pushed out a bit, and leaking.
could I tap it back in with any hope of it not leaking any longer?
or is it shot and I need to put a new plug in?

I have a frost plug tightenable rubber stopper ordered, but I am fearful that there is not enough room behind the exhaust manifold for it.
there isn't much clearance back there. I would need to take the manifold off to put it in. I am supposing that would mean a gasket set for the manifolds.

Starflight

Seaman

If the core plug was pushed out a bit from freezing, I'd say you are 1 lucky dude if there are no other leaks. In fact, you may want to come out here to vegas and win big if the above is true :) .
I myself would try and push it back in before going any further and see if it repairs the leak. With the low compression #s you had, if the compression will not come up after running it some more, You still need to pull the head and check things out. The de-carbonizing gasket set will include the intake, and exaust man gaskets as well as all the others you will need when you pull the head. Water seals are also included for the copper tubing. Replacing the core plug and doing the head work may be all you need. You already have a spare drive. You dont have much to lose.
Go for it.

whywhyzed

Banned

so, is it running with 26 psi in 1 cyl? or was ithat just a symptom of turning so slow due to outdrive. Id try to get some permatex or other sealant onto the edges of the plug and push back in...