Batt. burning out regulator???

issachar

Cadet
I have read in many places not to use a maintenance free battery for starting battery on this type of system because it can can premature regulator failure. I seem to be finding only maintenance free types so far. Is this true and, if so where, do you find a good starting battery local?

I have a 92 mercury v135 with the 40 amp dual regulator system.

j_martin

Admiral
Re: Batt. burning out regulator???

The AGM batteries, the one with the round cells, will accept an ungodly charge current, and might, i repeat might take out a weak regulator.

That said, most murkery charging systems are so primitive that they might harm a semi-sealed, or maintenance free battery. An ordinary marine dual purpose battery or starting battery works just fine and you can keep the water level up, preventing premature failure.

hope it helps
John

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

I haven't heard that at all about maintenance free batteries. That's about all you can get anymore. Rectifier failures are caused by crossed, corroded, or loose battery connections. With a high output alternator, I'd want a Starting battery and not a Deep Cycle or Dual Purpose. Dual Purpose are just Deep Cycles with heavy duty circuitry to not melt under starting amp delivery. They still charge slow at low amps.

jmburock

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The instructions/paperwork from CDI/Rapair state that a maintenance free battery should not be used with their regulator. Unfortunately, maintenance free batteries are about the only type of battery available these days. Perhaps they meant gel batteries. I have had no problems with my dual starter/ deep cycle marine battery.