no water from 50hp Merc pea hole

Rocky4052

Seaman
Hi everyone- I'm new to boating and new to this site. I have a 1966 50hp Mercury that has no water coming out of pea hole-[running on muffs] How long should it take for water to come out? How long can I safely run it? How much pressure should I have coming out of the hose into the muffs? This motor has not been run for 5 years according to the last owner. It has less than 250 hours on it. I do understand that after sitting for 5 years I should change the impeller anyway, but I would just like to know for sure that it is bad. When I do get the impeller, is there anything else I should get ? {besides a repair manual} Thanks, Dan

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: no water from 50hp Merc pea hole

get at water pump kit, not just the impeller. change the lower unit grease. yes, your impeller is bad. also run some weed eater line thru the pee tube, and get the critters out. manuals available oldmercs.com or get number and search ebay. here's and important link:
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=158086

Rocky4052

Seaman

Actually, I went out this morning to West Marine and bought the water pump kit. I also ordered a manual {Selco?} Thanks loads for that Link you sent me. I'll have to print that up---------as soon as I get back from getting new ink cartridges, that is. Also bought new seats for the 1971 MFG Niagra that the motor is attached to. It's just one thing after another--but a good learning experience. Dan

diaric

Chief Petty Officer

i have the same motor. mine will rarely get water from the telltale on muffs but always works in a barrel or at the lake. and this is with new impellors. change them every year or 2 but don't be alarmed with the muffs sometimes.

Rocky4052

Seaman

diaric-------How do you like that motor? I know after I repaired the wiring mine starts right up! Thanks for the info on the muffs. I am going to do the impeller- bought the water pump repair kit. Is it fairly easy on this motor? Any tips? I am new to this but have tools. You said IMPELLORS. There isn't more than one, is there? Dan

diaric

Chief Petty Officer

only one, meant that i've changed a few times.as long as everything comes apart good its not to bad to do. for a 40 year old motor it runs great. it still gets my old 14 foot runabout skipping along at 30 mph.if you notice any water getting in your gear lube, make sure you do the pump bottom housing seals. getting the pump base off was stuborn for me. very reliable motor, goes through alot of fuel compared to my buddies newer 50 but it always starts and runs.

diaric

Chief Petty Officer

i should add. don't be alarmed by a little of water in your lube. the driveshaft in these older units will rust, unlike the newer ones. because of this, the seals probably won't seal all that well. some oil will get out and some water will get in

diaric

Chief Petty Officer

i should add. don't be alarmed by a little of water in your lube. the driveshaft in these older units will rust, unlike the newer ones. because of this, the seals probably won't seal all that well. some oil will get out and some water will get in

Rocky4052

Seaman

Thanks for the heads up-------just waiting for my manual to arrive, then I'll go to it!!! Dan