Mercury 7.5 Overheats?

JBzer49

Recruit
I bought a Mercury 7.5 h.p. outboard as is and just got it going. I have two potential problems. The first is that I can only get the thing started if I blow a bit of starter fluid into the carb. Other wise I crank and Crank and nothing. What could be the problem? The second more serious potential problem is that when I got it going, within a few seconds the cooling water stream was strong, but then it began to sputter and then turn to steam. I turned the motor off immediately. Can anyone tell me whether this steam is normal and if not whether its likely the water pump or the thermostat or something else? The weep pipe is clear. Is the inlet above the propeller? I cleaned that out as well. ANy help would be appreciated.

billybones

Seaman
Re: Mercury 7.5 Overheats?

Mine did the same when bought last year.. had half of an impeller. when I opened it up, not enough water flow. replace the impeller. and yes that little screen looking thing above the prop is the intake. notice that it is raked towards the front of the boat. In a can it sputters a bit but steady flow. In a lake it is solid stream.

Harker

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Mercury 7.5 Overheats?

First..don't use starting fluid on a 2 stroke..Use a small squirt bottle with 50:1 fuel mix. I would change the impeller and rebuild the carb and fuel pump.