Cause for Hydrolock?

BradyA

Cadet
First, a little back story:

A month ago (in April) we purchased a 1976 19' Reinell cuddy with a 1990 GM 120hp 4 cylinder motor and the original (although rebuilt two years ago) OMC stringer outdrive. When we were out on the test ride, the engine started fine and seemed to run fine. The boat got up on a plane and steered and shut off fine. After about 10 minutes, we restarted it and my wife went out for a few minutes (with the old owner) for a quick check ride. So we made the purchase. Last week, I hooked up the garden hose to the flush fitting on the outdrive and went to start the motor. It cranked about a half crank and the made a grinding noise. This I found was a broken starter mount, so I replaced the starter. After I installed the starter, I cranked the motor (without the garden hose on) for just a half second to make sure I installed the starter correctly. No problem there. So I then turned on the garden hose to run the engine. Herein lies the problem: AFter I turned the hose on the starter would not even turn the engine over. I could tell the starter was trying to turn it over, so not wanting to break another starter, I shut it off. I pulled the spark plugs and you guessed it...water in all four cylinders. Because the water was in all four cylinders, I'm thinking it probably isn't the head gasket. I have yet to do a compression test (I'll do one on Thursday).

Assuming the compression tests on the cylinders is good, is there any other place the water can be coming in? Do I have too much water coming in from the hose? I've read in the forums about an exhaust flapper allowing water to come in through the exhaust, but I can't find anything in the manuals about where it is or how to replace it. I suspect it could be the intake manifold, but I'm not sure. Any ideas?

cheburashka

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Cause for Hydrolock?

Just to make sure--where are you putting the muffs? I don't think there's any way a person could hook them directly to the exhaust, but I've done similar things in the past. Pushing the starter button on a BMW motorcycle with the cylinder jugs off comes to mind. . .

BradyA

Cadet

I'm not using muffs. My outdrive has a direct garden hose flush fitting at the top of the outdrive.

KaGee

Admiral

2 things:

1) You had the hose turned up too high and water backed up over the riser and flooded your cylinders.

2) Your manifold is shot.

I hope you cleared out the water and sprayed lubricant inside each cylinder. If not, stop what you are doing and git-er-done ASAP.

Coors

Captain

Check your exhaust manifolds and risers. Search in iboats.

BradyA

Cadet

I did clean out and lubricate the cylinder immediatly, but thanks for the reminder! If I tryed running the engine on muffs instead of the hose fitting, might that alleviate the problem?

KaGee

Admiral

The fitting is in leau of the muffs. I use an in-line shutoff on the hose and only open it up about half way. Try it again, keep the hose pressure down.

Maclin

Admiral

I have a large plastic tote box that I use to run mine out of the water. It allows the water level to stay up above the intake on the lower unit. I keep the hose running some to keep it covered up. This way I can run it any any rpm and for as long as I need to without worrying about overrunning the muffs, plus you will know exactly how it will behave at the lake. A plastic swimming pool would work but takes a lot more water.

I had to go this route as none of the attachments I found mated up well to my opening (older VP DP) and it would suck too much air in with it. The challenge for me was finding a tote long enough for the duoprop to fit in. I found just the right size at WalMart for $15.

To start I have the drive up, then put the EMPTY tote under it, lower the unit some and move the tote some, usually the unit will drag it forward with it. Once all is in position (my drive will hit the ground so I leave it angled up some) I fill the tote. The tote tends to spread out at the top so I put a bunji cord from one side to the other and over the drive.

When all done I siphon the water out of the tote with same hose...I fill the hose and shut off the water, keeping the hose full I remove it from the spigot and use it as a primed siphon hose to drain the tote by putting one end in the bottom of the tote and the other end on lower ground at the bottom of the driveway. One of these days I am going to install a petcock on the tote.