2005 225hp issues

jwh37st

Cadet
I had a new high pressure fuel pump put on my engine at 200hrs. The boat ran fine the rest of the season then was put away this past winter, this spring the engine continued to have issues. At first we thought it was the pump again but that turned out to be fine. At this point the engine runs till it hits 3800 rpm's then surges like it wants to go but will not. Engine normally runs to 5400 rpm's. I have had the dealership take a look at it and they can not figure out the problem. They have tested the plugs, throttle control sensors, fuel pumps and fuel control valves and everything checks out fine. Any ideas on what the problem may be. ie: I have twins and the other engine runs great.

yamamarinetech40

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 2005 225hp issues

I'm gonna assume you have a HPDI? You just said 225...
Did anybody do a vacuum check on the fuel line, from eng. to tank? Do you have two tanks? what boat?

jwh37st

Cadet

It is a 225 four stroke on a Pursuit 2870

There are two tanks and it can be set up to run from 1 or both tanks. They have not done a vacuum check. They also ran the engine off a 6 gal. tank to make sure it was not the fuel and it ran the same. I assume even doing this would not rule out the vacuum if is coming from the engine?

Thanks for the help

James

JUSTINTIME

Captain

did they sync the throttle platesdo a cylinder drop test with the YDS software?

jwh37st

Cadet

They are doing the cylinder drop test on Monday.

Thanks for the suggestion I will keep you updated

HydraFish

Recruit

I had sent you a private message, would you please read and respond. I am having similar problems.

HydraFish

jwh37st

Cadet

The screens in the VST system were clogged/gummed up. They took out all the injectors and sent them out to be cleaned. They think they will have the boat up and running for the weekend. We will see and I hope this will solve the problem.

jwh37st

Cadet

The injectors were cleaned and the tests showed 50% more flow afterwards. Boat now runs great, I will just have to make sure when I change the pre and motor filters I check the screens in the VST.

Thanks for all the help

James

Snookered

Recruit

The screens in the VST system were clogged/gummed up. They took out all the injectors and sent them out to be cleaned. They think they will have the boat up and running for the weekend. We will see and I hope this will solve the problem.

I am having similar problems with 2006 F250. Have beem having since new but only once every 15hrs or so. Now it is consistent enough for shop to duplicate. They also changed the fuel pump to no avail. Mine will reach max rpms but will immediately begin to starve for fuel. After neutral will take off and run fine fine for a little while????????????