What's a reasonable cost for a full enclosure?

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander
Hey,

I need to replace the full enclosure including the bimini on my 23 foot walkaround. It's ten years old. It consists of a 6 foot three bow bimini, two front curtains, two side curtains, and a rear drop curtain. What should I expect to pay roughly? The bimini frame and all snaps on the boat are in fine shape.

Thanks!

arks

Lieutenant Commander
Re: What's a reasonable cost for a full enclosure?

It depends on the materials you want to use. Sunbrella with Strataglas will cost you LOTS more than vinyl and eisenglass. Very rough ballpark guess probably somewhere between $1400 and $2800 because zippers are expensive either way (I spent $900 just to replace zippers in my enclosure 1 1/2 years ago). Talk to some local shops and decide what's best for you and your budget, then get at least 3 bids for EXACTLY the same job. The last time I had canvas done, I handed out a "spec sheet" that contained all the materials I wanted, right down to the gore thread for stitching (it's stronger and lasts longer). All the proposals I received were within 10%.
After reviewing the bids, I created a contract utilizing the spec sheet and a deadline to assure the job was done within a reasonable time. If they exceeded the deadline, I would take 1% per day off the total bid. They all complained and said "we don't work that way", but I got 2 to agree to my terms and guess what- my canvas was done when I wanted it. I spent $1700 on a Sunbrella bridge cover and backdrop for my 34' convertible.