need help determining trans

hudman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i have just purchased a 1987 gibson houseboat, for pratically nothing. the boat has v drives, and 2 454 engines. the engines are NOT original, one will start, the other wont turn over. I need to determine if one is a reverse roatation or not. I have heard that in some boats, the reversing is done in the trans or v drive. is there a simple way to determine this? the boat is in the water, so looking at the prop is no help. i know that this was not an option in 1987 on a 36 ft boat, one of the previous owners decided to put these motors in, but i feel that the v drives are stock original. any common sense help would be appreciated. I dont know the brand of the vdrives, any help Iding them would also be appreciated
hud

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral
Re: need help determining trans

You could check the firing order.

Standard rotation, 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

Counter rotation, 1-2-7-5-6-3-4-8

hudman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks!!! that can be checked without the engine running!
Wish I had thought of that.
Any guess as to what these old 454's are worth? one will start, the other will not, its hard to turn over, old owner told me that it was rebuilt but put together too tight
thanks again
hud

Capt Ken

Commander

Hmmm, put together too tight. I'll put that one on the shelf next to that gallon of propwash I was saving. One is going to be counter-rotating for that year and probably the one on the starboard side.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Hmmm, put together too tight. I'll put that one on the shelf next to that gallon of propwash I was saving.

Are you interested in selling some of that propwash? I may know a potential buyer. :D

Bondo

Staff member

Any guess as to what these old 454's are worth?

With what you've stated,.......
Between a couple bucks apiece as Scrap to maybe $500. as Core motors.......