temperature question

b0mbtrack

Petty Officer 1st Class
i've got a MCM 4.3L 262 CID 6cyl. 2004 engine. My temp gauge has marks of 170 then the next one is 220. The temperature goes between the two and closer to the 220 side. should i be worried, for all i know it reading 190 or 210. Also the risers don't get too hot where as the manifolds get hot.

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: temperature question

Raw (or sea) water cooled the thermostat should be 160 degrees F, so that's about where she should run. I would verify that the guage is correct, but sounds too hot to me.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Do you have a carbed engine? Alpha or Bravo? When was the last time the impeller was changed?

b0mbtrack

Petty Officer 1st Class

carbed alpha gen II. the pump impeller was changed recently over winter. this is the first time i'm using it since last fall. I do remember it running hot but i don't remember how hot. It was originally running cold then i brought it back to where i got it and after that it ran hot.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It was originally running cold then i brought it back to where i got it and after that it ran hot.
Running cold???? How Cold????
What do you consider normal on your gauge, and what did they do/repair before you brought it back?

b0mbtrack

Petty Officer 1st Class

it was originally low hundred (hard to tell exact because gauge has very few marks on it) maybe like 130 or less. so i was thinking that to fix that they might have put in a new thermostat. i forgot what it was running at last year but i do remember it running hotter after what they did. it is just hard to tell what it is running at now because the damn gauge has so few marks on it. It didn't over heat yet. I ran it at idle for a while and at about 2000 to 2500 in idle at dock for a bit and it didn't overheat. It seems to be staying between 170 and 220 somewhere but it looks closer to the 220. The temp did fluctuate and like i said didn't actually overheat like it would have if it didn't get any water at all. i'm just worried about taking it out there and getting stuck but i guess that is the only way to try.
thanks for the help so far let me know of any other ideas

Coors

Captain

Go to Harbor Freight and get an infrared heat sensor, so you can find out exactly what the temp is.

seasure1

Cadet

The coors man is right on. Go to sears and for about $50 buy a infrared heat sensor it looks like a little gun. While running point the sensor at the manifolds risers elbows thermostat housing. This is the only true way to know. Keep the sensor about 4 inches away.