sterndrive ratio

421stang

Cadet
Ok I know I need to keep my ratio close to what my boat came with. But if I find another drive what differance will it make going up or down a little. I have a 1:65.1, if I use a 1:84.1 will I gain low torque and lose some top speed. If I have to use a differnt ratio is it better to go up or down. We use the boat for sking and cruising not for speed boating.

ziggy

Admiral
Re: sterndrive ratio

If I have to use a differnt ratio is it better to go up or down
it's better to get the proper ratio for your engine drive package. they're set up to work together. i think gear ratio's are set up to match engines. very from that and you'll have trouble getting it to work proper. yer engine needs to be able to achive wot. not to much rpm, or to little.

why do ya want to change gear ratios?

421stang

Cadet

I dont want to change my ratio, pre-alphas are getting harder to find so if I cant find one to match then I might need to change the ratio. I was told I can use an aplha but I have to watch input shaft length. And is that alpha,alpha1 gen1, ect.there are just so many drives and I dont want to end up getting one that wont work.

Bondo

Staff member

It would Help if you stated What your Motor is,.......

As for Drives,.....
You can use either the Mod.1, or the Alpha 1...........

Alpha 1 Gen.IIs are a Totally Different drive.......

QC

Supreme Mariner

I have a 1:65.1, if I use a 1:84.1 will I gain low torque and lose some top speed
You will gain low end torque on your propshaft, and you will lose some top end speed in the example you give because WOT RPM will be too high. Theoretically both will change by the 11.5% difference in the numeric gear change, 11.5% more torque on the shaft at peak values (11.5% lower shaft RPM) and 11.5% more RPM at WOT, same max horsepower at the shaft. You would need to go up in propeller pitch to match, then your overall performance should be somewhat comparable. That's not to say that the combo will be as good of a match for your engine and hull, but mathematically you can compensate with propeller pitch.

If they didn't change ratios by engine size we would end up with 7" pitch props on 4 cyl stuff and 36" pitch props on 502s . . .

Last edited:

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

You may want to take your post to the I/O section on this board, and at the same time post the complete picture of what you are trying to do. I dont believe you could get any better info anywhere and it's all free and quite accurate........ :D Umm and dont argue with them to much, sometime's they get a bit cranky...;) Welcome by the way..

QC

Supreme Mariner

BTW, I made a mistake with my math yesterday and it was swirling in my head all day, I think I have it right now at 11.5% whic I edited back in to replace the 10.4 . . .