Selling recondition/rebuilt boat

CTD

Petty Officer 1st Class
I re did my boat several years ago, I replaced the transom, floor and stringers. I put two or three foam kits in to fill the spaces in the bottom same as was in there plus a little more added a couple extra braces and storage boxes where there was a space in the floor for a built in gas tank. Now I'm ready to sell it, getting too old to handle it myself. What i'm wondering is how can I word a sales agreement to where the buyer takes it as is so I have no liability if something should ever go wrong with the repairs I did. I would hate to part it out to eliminate liability as I spent many hours re doing the upholstery and boat.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Selling recondition/rebuilt boat

the buyer has inspected the boat, motor, and trailer, and accepts it as is. most of the time, when i sell a boat there is nothing written, let the buyer beware, is common law in every state on a private sale. cash and title exchange hands, connect the trailer, and bye bye, enjoy.

TK

Seaman Apprentice

I agree 100 percent. Over the years I have bought and sold many vehicles and it is the buyer do his due diligence.

Tell the truth and sleep worry free.:p

reelfishin

Captain

Just a thought, but I would also think that liability would also depend on the dollar amount spent-- on a motor vehicle here, any vehicle sold under $2500 is automatically in the as-is bracket, there can be an implied warranty if a disclaimer is not signed at purchase and even then the customer has some recourse in small claims court. Age may also affect that but I can't say for sure.
I worked with used cars for years, the $2500 rule had a lot to do with the price of a car and what warranty it came with, many states may apply this to a boat too? I would cover myself on any sale and make the buyer sign and understand that all future repairs or failures are their responsibility, and have a witness, it's the only way to try and protect yourself.
I would assume that most any boat buyer would know this but in this day and age of sue happy people, I wouldn't take the chance.

JustMrWill

Master Chief Petty Officer

On every private party bill of sale I have
"
VEHICLE SOLD AS IS WITH NO WARRANTIES EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED. "

I have never had any problems.

-JMW