no such thing as a free boat!!

rob711

Petty Officer 1st Class
i recently acquired a "free" boat..after buying a new battery i was pleasently surprised when the mid 80's 90 hp evinrude started up with little hesitation..yahoo.. unfortuatly on its madien voyage i discovered the transom is cracked/rotten..its a 1974 wellcraft that is in other wise decent condition..i'd like to get one maybe two seasons out of it...i did some researh and really dont want to get into disecting the transom and doing a lot of glass work....my idea is to sandwich the transom with 3/8 aluminum plates and fill what i can with this git rot product i've read about...will this plan work..i'm thinking the aluminum alone will cost at least 300..but worth it for two seasons

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Re: no such thing as a free boat!!

Look at a product called Seacast. For the 300 you are going to spend on metal and git rot for a band aid fix would be better spent on a permanent fix..
They have instructions on the web site for repair without major fiberglass work..

rob711

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks gary..i'am consiering that although i dont know how to get all the wood out with out cutting off the bask of the boat...i plan on removing the motor today and i'll cut back some of the fiberglass but i can see the crack and it appears to be under a part of the transom that would require me to do a lot more cutting than i'm comfortable with...i'm new to boating..and fiberglass..metal i know...the web site makes me leary of the sea cast but the more i look into it the more of a believer i become..thank again for your advice

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i told gary to use a chainsaw between the 2 layers of glass, and he did. i use a riobi battery chainsaw, that way you can hear what you are doing.

rob711

Petty Officer 1st Class

thats a good idea it would be harder to hear what damage i'm causing with my gas saw...do you think this could be done without removing the splash well/ entire stern of the boat or at least the decking...

Nova II 260

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Use a Chainsaw !! You can hear when you touch glass. just go slow, let the saw do the work.

rob711

Petty Officer 1st Class

has anyone acually sucsessfully used sea cast...the website seem hopeful but is it to good to be true...

rob711

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks every one..but after taking off the motor i think the eaisesr thing to do would be to scrap the boat and keep the motor and trailer...unbelievible rotten if i had know it was that bad i would have never even gone out on it!!there has to be more rot in this boat than i can see..this was a fun learning expierence..hopefully i can find a solid hull just so i can get out this summer...

Jimmyz123_

Seaman Apprentice

Where do you live? I know someone not too far from me here in El Cajon, Ca. that has a 17'1/2 glastron that he's willing to give away, if he hasn't already. Everything looked good on it, but it needs a motor, and some touch up work. I would have taken it off his hands but I have already restored a boat and I'm happy with what I have.