200hp merc starts then dies

horsefly38425

Petty Officer 1st Class
this is a 2000yr carb/200 hp it will start run 2 or 3 sec. and dies. I have checked fuel supply and it getting gas /it does not appear to me to have a real good spark. Some of the vac. lines were off and i am not sure they were put back right . Got to start somewhere ,any help i will try it . By the way where did merc hide the ser. # I can't find it to order parts

j_martin

Admiral
Re: 200hp merc starts then dies

Serial number is on the clamp, and also on the welch plug, aft top center.

Get a book and put it together right, then ask questions.

hope it helps
John

horsefly38425

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have it is not a fuel problem. Now to trouble shot Ing. switch is ok/ shift lockout ok coils ok witch leaves control mod. trigger /stator . Any help on how to CK these would be helpfull. Fire is weak' but will start 3-5 sec. then it loses fire. Sometimes it will start right back up / sometimes it may take 30-45 sec for power to come back . I have ck'ed for a broken wire on all 3 componets and did not find any. must be inside one of them / hate to buy all 3 if i can narrow it down. Don't have a book on it / if i did i would not need this great web site

j_martin

Admiral

As a quickie, there is a mercury switch on the starboard side that connects to both switch boxes, as does a wire that goes into the harness. That's the kill circuit, and any leak to ground will weaken the spark. Try disconnecting it, but give yourself an out by connecting a hand held starter button between those screws on the switchboxes and ground, to act as a kill switch. Then try it.
If it goes then, reconnect things one by one till you find the bug.

hope it helps
John

horsefly38425

Petty Officer 1st Class

my bad it wasin the Ing switch. I just missed it the frist time /Thanks