Put together with spare parts?

musclecoupe

Recruit
I'm new to this site so, HELLO every one. I was given a fishing boat by my dad just recently. It has been sitting up for 8 years. The motor is in great shape as far as I can tell except the belt for the distributor is missing. I contacted a merc. website and gave them the SER.# 6308247. They replied later that the motor was an '82 model and does not have a distributor. I probably have the wrong # on the motor. This is what I do know.
Mercury 500 (50) with blue bands on cover.
4 cylinder with Thunderbolt ignition. It has an upside down distributor that is belt driven from the flywheel. SER# is 6308247. If anyone can identify this or steer me in the right direction I would appreciate it. One more thing, it has a steering wheel. The SER# is located in the area where it fastens to the motor so it was probably converted to steering.

redjmp

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Put together with spare parts?

That serial # is model # 1050523. '82 50 hp
It is possible that you have a motor that has had the transom bracket replaced. I had to do it to and old 1965 '65 that had seized.
An '82 should have brown stripes on the cowling I believe, so you probably have an early 70's model. 60's had the red stripe. My '76 50hp has the newer style ignition without the distributor so yours must be older than that.

Clams Canino

Commander

Without solving the year problem, all the belts were the same part.
So get a Mercury 20140 belt and it's done. :)

-W ( A knowlegeable parts guy should have known that all distributor Mercs used the same belt anyway)

musclecoupe

Recruit

Thank you for the info. That should help me get started on my new money sinking project.