75hp johnson stinger

RUSSELL

Recruit
I am rebuilding a 1976 75hp Johnson Stinger. The problem I am having is it is not opening up on the top end when in gear. It soulds like it is choking out. It idles, runs slow and runs in reverse all fine. I have changed the plugs and tried to set the spark andvance. I am not sure I did that right. When out of gear it throtles up all the way without problem.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 75hp johnson stinger

when was the last time the carb were disassembled, including removing the jets, cleaned till shiney, all orifices clean and blown out with compressed air. ressembled with a rebuild kit. seeing you messed with the timing. you need the Johnson Manual for your particular engine, and totally reset the link and sink. step by step. also have you cheked the compression?

RUSSELL

Recruit

All three carbs have been totlay rebuilt. I have not checked the compression. The timing is 16 deg but I do not know at what rpm the motor is to be running at when setting it. I was told in nutural but the timing screw would not be touching anything to make the timing change. Thank you for your help already.

RUSSELL

Recruit

I have checked my compression and it is 125 top 122 middle and 126 on the bottom. I do not know if that is good or bad. Can anyone please let me know what it is right.