what year, and what to do

floatingwoody2006

Chief Petty Officer
Hello all.. i just bought a little alumaking 12 or 14 foot cartopper. Leaks a bit, but super light, and in decent shape. Came with a sears model 217.58544 3 hp outboard, and it is frozen. I will squirt some oil in the plug hole and hope she frees up. it is definately from sitting, but would like to get lucky and see it run again.. A long shot i know. But.. does anyone have the year or any resources where i could start with it?.. I do have a partial manual with carb settings and parts list. Thanks in advance..

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: what year, and what to do

You already have more than most. Try www3.sears.com for parts. It's a 1974. Use chainsaw oil (air-cooled 2-stroke). It's a 642-16B Tecumseh powerhead on an Eska leg.

My brother bought a boat with a know siezed powerhead. It was a challenge to get loose, but I did. There was a rodent's nest in the exhaust system and a young one found it's way into the lower cylinder and died. It rusted badly under the carcass, but I eventually freed things up and it runs just fine.

floatingwoody2006

Chief Petty Officer

Well.. I got it freed up, and added fuel. She fired right up and ran very well to my surprise. by looking at it, i didn't have much hope. Now i just need to replace the lower unit oil in it, as i have no idea how long it has been in there, or how much is there. Cant free the screws though..I have been hitting it daily with a squirt of Pb Blaster in hopes it would penetrate some, but no luck. ANy reason i shouldn't try some heat on it? And is there any obvious maintanance i should perform on it before going out? It runs good in the barrel, but even though i expect it to strand me, (Just me bad experience talking) i would love to have it reliable. Ive never had an air cooled outboard before..Thanks
Oh.. And is there an impeller in it?.. The leg looks too small for one to fit. All i see is a curved tube facing the propwash to collect water.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

You got lucky. Most Eskas have a water pump, but not yours. The prop wash is forced into the curved tube and just overflows out the top end to cool the exhaust.

A tool called an impact screwdriver is a virtual necessity for anybody working on outboards. It has a cam inside that rotates the bit when you strike the tool on the end with a hammer. It will take those screws out in a heartbeat.

floatingwoody2006

Chief Petty Officer

Well. Im not too sure what to do about the lower unit oil change..The bolts are stuck fast. The impact driver just twisted the thread on both bolts so that i can't get a driver on them. Anyone ever drill a hole in the lower unit and then just re-fill it that way? Or.. should i just say" Aw it's a 1974 sears" and just hope its fine..BTW.. Any takers for the ugliest boat contest? (and thats the good side..)

HPIM0012.jpg

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

That looks a little like an old Alumacraft.Looks like detective Columbos'
trench coat.Nice lines though, should be ride smooth.

floatingwoody2006

Chief Petty Officer

You have a keen eye. An old alumicraft it is..Not sure how old, but it was a serious mess when i got it. Gluv it and JB weld have been the repair tools. It had 3 thru hull holes, and almost every seam leaked. I haven't had it out yet, but i plan to tomorrow. I don't believe it will ever leak again. The paint is krylon fusion i had leftover. I expect that will be peeling off in a few weeks.