Crack in top of transom

sramelyk

Seaman
I have a crack at the top horizontal part of my transom. This boat is a 1979 procraft and frankly, its old.. Its given me some great summers and some horrible ones. It was given to me for free and I've done a bit of work on it specifically the motor. I have had it for 5 years and these cracks have always been there. There is one on each side and they've always been covered with silicon or something. However, this year its seems like the crack has gotten bigger. The actual transom and wood seem sound but am worried about the crack. Can I do something to fix it?

Attachments

• boatcrack (Small).JPG
    boatcrack (Small).JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 1

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Re: Crack in top of transom

Hate to say it but it probably cracked due to stress from a rotting transom.You need to pull the motor off and get into the top of the transom and see how bad the wood looks..:(
Looking at the picture the transom is sagging bad?

sramelyk

Seaman

It doesn't seem like its sagging bad to me because its always been like that. This boat is old, and I would love to just get a full summer out of it. I wouldn't go through the trouble to replace it all and invest a lot of time or money. I guess I'm wondering if its "bandaidable"? I know someone that used to work on restoring boats and he thought maybe just putting some glass and resin on it would hold it for awhile. The transom "feels" solid.. Doesn't seem to be rotten, but I guess you can't tell without really looking at it. I've never noticed any ill effects from it but worry about the motor just ripping off and me having tons of trouble.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

If you grab the engine will the transom flex any? If so its rotted. You could always pull the motor off and put a piece of metal across the top,like some u-channel aluminum,that may get you a couple more years out of it.

sramelyk

Seaman

Yeah.. Not a lot but definitely some flex. Good idea on the metal. I may give that a try for sure. Thanks for the advice.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

You might attach a 2X4 (flat side horizontal, of course) to the transom under the splashwell. If you glass it to the transom, sides of the boat and the splashwell, it will add quite a bit of strength and not show. Recaulk the cracks, or better yet grind out the bad stuff and fill with thickened epoxy.