Is it the impeller or what?

bago

Petty Officer 3rd Class
After a lavish floor repair I decided to start the motor-mercruiser 170 with 4 inch heat exchanger.I put on the muffs and turned the tap on .Surprisingly it started on half turn and idled sweetly.Almost immediatly noticed that no water is going outside the prop.Kept an eye on the temp gauge and when it aproached 175 I turned the engine off.The manifolds were hot ,the hoses were hot, the heat exchanger was hot but no water getting out of the boat.What could it be ?Please help me with your knowledge to solve the problem!Thanks!

thrasher

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Is it the impeller or what?

As you where feeding the water from a tap, I would have expected the pressure of the water coming out of the tap to have circulated your engine even without the impellor working!! I am new to boats so I could be completely wrong, but are you sure water is coming out of the muffs? you don't have a blockage in the pipe between the tap and the muffs?
Also are you sure the muffs where over the water inlet on the stern drive?

Gary

Coors

Captain

Was it working before the floor repair, and exchanger?

bago

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I am sure that the water was entering the inlets on the drive and I got my son pressing the muffs for a better water penetration.I never tested the boat-I bought it "blind",and it is my first I\O.The previous owner mentioned that only the Termostat might need renewal,but Ijust wanted to check if something else should be changed as well.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Could be the hose between the drive and bell housing kinked, heat exchanger or exhaust risers stopped up. You can disconnect the raw water hoses comming in from the drive and see if you have water flow. Keep checking till you find where the flow stops.

bago

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thank you! That is what I`ll do!