Ski Twin jumping in and ou of gear

Puckduck

Cadet
I have a 68 33hp ski twin, great motor for my small runabout. My problem is that it is jumping/slipping in and out of gear. I have checked all of the controls - and they are adjusted properly, next moved to the shift arm and detents and they function as they are supposed to. Is this a lower unit problem only, or is there something else I need to check/adjust?:confused:

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Ski Twin jumping in and ou of gear

sounds like a typical cluth dog gear gone bad,it can happen for various reasons,control cable problems,going in and out of gear with to much rpm,or going in and out to slow,either way,the gear is found in the lower unit and needs to be changed,if you do the work,be sure to check the othe gears for wear at the point the cluth gear engages,hopefully the other gears are ok,but if you over did it you may need to change them too,usually the forward due to it being often,the lower unit will also ,or should have seals changed too.another option,maybe a GOOD used gearcase also see the 1963 johnson jolting post

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

disconnect cable manually shift into gear and see if it does it. Did you have the lower unit off before this happened?

Puckduck

Cadet

Nope, I changed the fuel pump, the fuel lines and replaced the wiring harness.

It pumps water great, so I left the lower unit alone.

I tried shifting it manualy and still had the same problem, as far as working on it I will probably have it done or should I look for another lower unit.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

"jumping in and out of gear" - is there a loud "clunk" when it does this, does it feel like you hit something. Or is it more like a car with slipping clutch, boat slows a bit and the engine revs up?

tashasdaddy

also can you hold it in gear at the engine with someone else driving.? the problem is trying to find someone to work and an engine that old. but it's not rocket science. if you jnow which end of the wrench to use and can read a manual, you can probably fix it. just finding the parts. we'll find them.

Puckduck

Cadet

It is your basic "clunk". I am fortunate to have a guy local that works on this stuff. I just hope the parts aren't too expensive($200-$300)

Also, I can't hold it in gear, once it clunks out, it is out no matter what I do.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

That's the clutch dog. Don't get any illusions of putting a new dog in against a worn gear. Won't last and is a waste of money.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

(Jumping Out Of Gear - Manual Type)
(J. Reeves)

This pertains to lower units on all OMC manual shift outboard engines, or any OMC engine with lower units defined as a Shift Assist or a Hydro Electric Shift unit which incorporates a "Shifter Clutch Dog".

Within the lower unit, splined to the prop shaft is what is most often referred to as a clutch dog, hereafter simply called dog. The dog has at least two lobes protruding from it on both ends, facing both forward and reverse gear. The forward and reverse gears also have lobes built into them near their center area. When the engine is running, in neutral, the gears are spinning constantly via the driveshaft being connected directly to the powerhead crankshaft, but the propeller does not turn due to the fact that the dog is centered between the two gears, and the dog lobes are not touching either of the gear lobes.

When the unit is put into either gear, shift linkages force the dog (and its lobes of course) to engage the lobes of the gear. The lobes of the spinning gear grab the lobes of the dog, and since the dog is splined to the prop shaft, the propeller turns.

The lobes of the dog and gears are precisely machined, most with right angled edges that could be installed in either direction, and some with angles slightly varied that must be installed in one direction only (one end only must face the propeller). Dogs that can be installed in one direction only, if reversed, even if the dog and both gears were new.... would jump out of gear almost immediately. Keep in mind that the lobes are precisely machined with sharp angles!

Due to improper adjustment or worn shift linkages, but usually due to improper slow shifting, those precisely machined sharp edges of the lobes become slightly rounded. Now, with those lobes rounded, as the rpms increase, the pressure of the gear lobes upon the dog lobes increases to a point whereas they are forced apart (jumping out of gear), and due (usually) to the shift cable keeping tension on the engines shift linkages..... the unit is forced back into gear giving one the sensation that the engine has hit something, and the cycle continues.

Some boaters have the mistaken belief that shifting slowly is taking ixt easy on all of the shifting components..... Wrong! Shifting slowly allows those precisely machined sharp edges of the dog and gears to click, clank, bang, slam against each other many times before they are finally forced into alignment with each other..... and this is what rounds those edges off! The proper way to shift is to snap the unit into gear as quickly as possible.

http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store

Puckduck

Cadet

What is the prefered (lower cost) remedy?

1. replace the clutch dog, fwd & reverse gears and seals

or

2. Replace lower unit completely

tashasdaddy

i just price the gears, without seals etc. $667 start a search for the compatible lower, tcoutboard.com ebay. or sell the powerhead, and find another powerplant.

Puckduck

Cadet

Thanks for all your help guys. This thing is such a strong little runner, I am probably going to pony up some cash to make it right, escpecially since it was a freebie anyways. The shop I use tells me he's can hook me up. He specializes in the old Johnson/Evinrude motors, but it definitely helps knowing what to expect before getting into it. Again, thanks for your help

tashasdaddy

good luck, let us know what happens. i'm very partial to the oldies.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

could the clutch dogs not be turned around?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Turning the dog around might last long enough to unload the motor on some poor unsuspecting sap. On SOME motors the forward and reverse gear are interchangable. Then turning everything around can buy you a few miles...if the reverse isn't worn out too.

In most cases, a patch is a patch.