1987 Evinrude 140

dkrill3

Recruit
my neighbor suggested chnaging the power pack on our 1987 Evinrude 140. it ran a little rough last summer, our first season with the boat. his suggestion seemed to make sense but he wasn't pointing at the power pack which is on top by the flywheel - he was pointing at a connection box below the starter. it has 10-12 wire connections inside. What's this part called and assuming there's a problem, if we change it out would we notice an improvement in power?

hoeser

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1987 Evinrude 140

Can you be a little more specific about the problem? I doubt it's the power junction your neighbor was describing.

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant
Re: 1987 Evinrude 140

My QUESS is his friend knows that a power pack can cause erratic problems but has never seen one for that motor. He saw a black box and assumed that was it.

I personally have replaced a bad power pack that was causing loss of power and stalling. It started as a occasional miss and gradually turned into very poorly operating engine. It was a few hundred bucks.

A dirty carb or fouled plugs could cause the same symptoms and are much cheaper to fix.

oohyeahh

Cadet
Re: 1984 Evinrude 140

Re: 1984 Evinrude 140

wrong spot

Last edited: