Replacing the Regulator / Rectifier

studio3e

Recruit
I just bought a used boat with a 1994 Evinrude 175 V6, when I put it in for the first time I had to get a new batter, I go a little stronger battery. It started up ok and we where off cruising around for about a half an hour and then anchored for an hour +. When I went to start up the boat the starter made a funny noise and then I noticed smoke. I took of the cover and eventually had to use the fire extinguisher and the smoke immediately stopped.
Once safely back on land I did a little investigation. I found that the wires going into the Regulator / Rectifier where fried just where they enter the gel especially the red one.
I know the Reg / Rec needs to be replaced. I want to know what I need to be checking to find out what the cause of the problem or was it the fact that it just got old. Along with what does this mean for the longevity of the motor. Do I need to throw down and get a new motor or can it be fixed?
I also noticed that the Tack is also not working which seams to be often linked to the Reg / Rec. Other then the little electrical fire the motor seemed to purr along.
Thanks

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: Replacing the Regulator / Rectifier

The tach works off regulator/rectifier pulses and if the reg/rectifier is blown it won't work. Sounds like you had a hard short to ground which caused the fire and the failure. Find the short before replacing the reg/rectifier, or you'll smoke the new one. You don't need a new motor for a failed $140 part that's easy to replace. Just find the cause first.

ob

Admiral
Re: Replacing the Regulator / Rectifier

Also perform a visual inspection of the stator winding under the flywheel and ohm the leads from it to the rectifier and check for shorts/grounds.Can't tell you off the top of my head what the specified ohm reading should be on the stator windings but it shouldn't peg the meter reading continuity nor should it read open(infinity).