need advice on what this juction block does 89 5.7

delsol

Senior Chief Petty Officer
i have an 89 5.7 merc . the boat had an electric f/b before dealer killed my boat i have wires all wrong. can antone tell me what this does about my fuel filter where my electric f/b was. i have manual but would be nice to give me a brief description.
bob/philly

Attachments

• engine (6).jpg
    engine (6).jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 0

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: need advice on what this juction block does 89 5.7

What's an f/b ?????

Don S

Look at these two pictures. Should explain it.

engine%2520%25286%2529.jpg

Start%20wiring.png

delsol

thanks don s rolling up the sleeves like you said
bob

delsol

don thanks for the diagram. is it posible that while bad was sitting they put these wire on wrong an thats why the netrual safty switch is not working..it starts it gear and they did not mark the wires???
thanks bob
p/s i am getting it sorted slowly but correctly

delsol

also don they put a new ign switch in the boat. could that be in wrong..i am going to check every wire but just a basic question.
bob

delsol

anyone?

Don S

Not really understanding what you are asking.
First of all, early on I ask what an f/b is........... I still don't know.

is it posible that while bad was sitting they put these wire on wrong an thats why the netrual safty switch is not working

Please explain "is it posible that while bad was sitting"

delsol

don i meant fuel pump...also off topic. i replaced trim pump works great exhaust bellows has a big tear and is rotted rubber. i told them to replace it..they said it was fine..
bob

delsol

this boat had electric fuel pump , they out in new manual
fuel pump
bob

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Come on Bob, I know this problem has frustrated you, but slow down a little and proof read your post before you submit em. We have to be able to understand what your asking.

delsol

sorry the shop replaced my electric fuel pump with a manual one . the boats starts in gear is it possible other then a bad netrual safty switch. could they have wired the boat wrong when putting it back together..they put in a ign .also..
sorry reel-poor and don s for not wording it right. at first i wanted to know what that juntion block does on top of fuel filter.
#2 i wanted to know if they could have wired it wrong cause it starts in gear. and 4 different guys worked on the boat..

thanks for you help
bob/philly

Don S

The neutral safety switch is in the throttle/shifter control, not on the engine. Nothing around the slave solenoid and circuit breaker will give you start in gear protection.
no, they didn't wire anything on the engine wrong to cause it to start while in gear.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

sorry the shop replaced my electric fuel pump with a manual one . the boats starts in gear is it possible other then a bad netrual safty switch. could they have wired the boat wrong when putting it back together..they put in a ign .also..
sorry reel-poor and don s for not wording it right. at first i wanted to know what that juntion block does on top of fuel filter.
#2 i wanted to know if they could have wired it wrong cause it starts in gear. and 4 different guys worked on the boat..

thanks for you help
bob/philly

From what I can tell in the pic of the solenoid it appears to be wired correctly. The top studs should have a yellow/red on one and a red/purple on the other. The terminals on the side should be yellow/red on one terminal and a black on the other.

Your just gonna have to check the neutral safty switch to know if it's at fault.

uaw9fan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Review Don's earlier post with the picture. The control has the neutral switch. It has yel/red wires going into it and out. Sounds to me like they bypassed the neitral switch and hooked the wires together. Take a peek at the back side of the panel where your control is mounted.

delsol

well i gorgot to say the motor would not start at first so they bypassed the engine kill switch with a direct wire at the control box...the swich that when you fall overboard the motor suts off. could this have anything to do with the nutraul safty switch . by bypassing the kill switch .
HERE IS A PICT OF THE BYPASSED SWITCH

Attachments

• bypassed switch.jpg
    bypassed switch.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 0

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

Nope...that switch only opens the ignition circuit and either kills the engine while running or prevents it from firing while starting, nothing to do with the neutral/safety switch in the controller which should only allow the starter to engage while in neutral, maybe these guys don't know what they are doing and bypassed that one too? See Don's diagram above showing it inside the controller.

delsol

thanks boating bob i will if they bypassed that would you see it om the outside of the control box??? also the netrual safety switch hard to replace??
bob