97 Force 120 Water in Lower Unit?

cucklebur

Cadet
I recently purchased a boat with a Force 120 and when I went to check the lower unit oil it was a greenish black and a little milky. I drained the oil and pumped in new oil then ran it at idle with the muffs a little while before draining again and refilling with fresh oil. I noticed the rubber tubing (vacuum line?) from the lower unit was cut so I plugged it as best I could. I took the boat out a few hours and now the oil is slightly cloudy but you can still see though it. Is this normal milkyness due to oil being used or am I getting more water in the lower unit? Should I replace the vacuum line? Also, should the magnetic plug be in the vent hole or the drain hole? It was in the vent hole and had a few metal shavings on it.

Thanks for helping a Force newbie.

skibug

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 97 Force 120 Water in Lower Unit?

Milkyness is a sign of water. Used oil will simply darken in color etc... Pull the lower unit off and check the base gasket of the water pump etc... This is a common place for water intrusion.

If you are getting any water in the lower unit oil, then it's a good idea to go ahead and get a lower unit seal kit and replace all the seals. A seal kit will run about $40-$50 and is not hard at all to install. But it sounds like it's time for new seals and gaskets in the lower unit.

The rubber tubbing you are refering to is probably your speedometer hookup and has nothing to do with a vacuum hose.

The magnetic plug should be in the drain hole. Particles are supposed to fall in the oil and be trapped by the magnetic plug.