Gimbal Bearing -- or Not??!

dmp240da

Cadet
I have a 2006 350 MAG Horizon BravoIII with 45 hours. Drive oil was changed last fall during winterizing and bearing was lubed. Due to our extreme drought here in AL looks like our boat will be on the lift all summer so my options for examination are very limited.

Anyway, when running on muffs at anywhere from idle to around 1200rpm (all I dare do on muffs) I hear a whine (almost whistle) around the outdrive in the area of the u-joint bellows. It sounds like it is above the exhaust tube area. The noise does not change whether I move it left or right, trim up or down, or put in/out of gear. It is not audible inside the engine compartment at the transom (only out by the drive) and no vibration can be felt in the transom plate/housing.

I know you can't hear what I'm hearing, but I was wondering if you think a gimbal bearing would cause this (i.e. wouldn't you hear a bad gimbal bearing inside and perhaps feel vibration on the transom plate/housing.)

I know you can hear a lot of "normal" sounds out of the water that you would never hear with the boat in water and wanted your thoughts.

Just trying to put my mind at rest as I can't pull the drive with the boat stranded on the lift.

Thanks so much for your thoughts!