Trim relay?

marty5030

Seaman Apprentice
So after a good day of fishing in my 1990 Champion w/ 150 hp Evinrude (1990 too), I get home and go to take the motor totor off. The motor tilts up ok, and then when I go to tilt down nothing. No click, no noise, zero. I press the tilt up and it goes just fine, down again, nothing. I also tried the control on the throttle and same thing. So I go inside to research on iboats, learn a little about relays and go outside to test with the multimeter (I have power to both up and down). Then try it one more time and al of a sudden it works just fine. So my question is how do I test relays or might it be worse then that (had boat fully serviced 2 months ago)

Thanks in advance,

Marty

marty5030

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Trim relay?

I cleaned the connections on the relay (a little sandpaper did the trick) hope it works.

scottc0823

Cadet

Marty,

Did it work?
I have a similar problem with my trim only the opposite...mine wont trim up!
I didnt test the relays - I bought a new one only to find I still have the problem.
Sadly I am now in the process of figuring out where else the problem might be so its down the wireing harness and into the motor itself. Im guessing loose connection somewhere because I am able to get it to work intermittently by wiggling or pressing down on the relay bracket.
Let me know how it goes. Since your relay isnt clicking at all (and mine is) it is likely something different but i'm hoping to get any ideas I can to fix mine.

Scott

iwombat

Captain

Gotta watch that sandpaper stuff. Make sure you follow up a sandpaper dressing with a little solvent or something. Sandpaper can leave residue that can come back and bite you later. It's better to use a metal file if you have one.