CDI box changed still no spark...ideas???

Wiggy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My Johnson 4hp 1988 Deluxe BJ4RDHCCS recently just stopped. I checked compression, fuel and spark. The first two were fine but no spark on either plug.

I've checked all wiring and kill switch = no spark
I've changed plugs = no spark
I've tried another CDI box = no spark

so after a chat with my local dealer, he advised that I buy a new stator. Before I do this, is there anything else I should do/try?

If I have to buy a new stator should I buy a new CDI box too? Replace anything else?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: CDI box changed still no spark...ideas???

Check all of the rubber connection plugs related to the powerpack and ignition in general. A pin/socket can be easily pushed back somewhat whereas they will not make a proper connection.... and also those same connectors can develop a frayed or broken wire right at the connector BUT still look okay as the broken portion would still be inside the rubber plug.

Wiggy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Have done that, and everything seems OK.

I'm going to get hold of a meter later and test the stator, control box etc and seems where that leads me.

Any tips for getting the fly wheel off? The nut on top is tight to say the least!

redfury

Commander

an electric impact wrench is usually the easiest way to get those flywheel nuts off, but the other option is to wedge the flywheel with a small block of wood against part of the engine block that won't be damaged once you start applying force to the nut.