idle speed and proper startup on a 5.7 merc

delsol

Senior Chief Petty Officer
hi as most know i got my boat back . its takes awhile to start up in 85 degree weather,
5,7 quad electric choke,
should the boat not just start up and run right??, does it need to run 10 minutes before it gets better...and what should the idle speed be on the muffs. the lowest i can get it to run fair is 1000 rpm.. i need some more advice on this as i was going to pay the shop tommorow , but i want to tell the guy to come by the marina and fix the idle and i will pay him...
bob/p

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: idle speed and proper startup on a 5.7 merc

99.9% Of the carbed engines out there do NOT start like EFI cars. If they have set overnight or half a day, they are considered a cold engine. You have to pump the throttle at least once to allow the choke to set and the accelerator pump to squirt some gas into the engine for priming and starting. Even in 85? weather.
Then set the throttle to about 1/4 and start the engine. Be ready and keep the rpm around 1000 to 1500 to warm up till the choke comes off. Sometimes depending on how tight the choke is set, it takes a little throttle jockying to keep them running.
By factory specs, ALL chokes are set too tight as far as I am concerned, and causes a lot of excess rich operation and black smoke on first start up.

delsol

don once warmed up whats a good idle speed ???i think something is wrong as the boat shakes alot. engine temp 120 degrees too cold
thanks bob

Don S

A 5.7 should idle around 650 rpm, not more than 700 in neutral. It should also be smooth, no misses and definatly not rough.
It will also take a while to get warmed up to operating temp when in neutral and on muffs. Usually with a raw water cooled engine, you won't see more than about 140? on muffs.
For your 120?, was that on muffs, on the water, under load, what????
I guess what you really need to do is tell us what you now have, what kind of engine, what carb, what drive, what everything.
All I can remember anymore is you have an engine being changed out by someone without a clue. But have no idea what the Make, Model, Year or anything else of the change was.

delsol

89 5.7 w/alpha 1 w/quad jet with elec choke
not under aload . runs a little rough..
bob

Don S

Better roll your sleeves up Bob, it's time to go to work.
Just to make sure. Do you have a Rochester Quadra Jet, or a Weber 4bbl carb.
Do you have a SN for your old engine, or drive, or transom shield?
Do you have a timing light, and compression gauge, and vacuum gauge, and if not are you willing to get them? You don't need state of the art, and ebay, Sears, or any auto parts store carries them.

Don S

The reason for the serial numbers is the service manuals changed between 88 and 89, and it's very common to have an 88 engine/drive package in an 89 boat. And there are substantial differences or they would have used the old manual.

delsol

don i have all them tool....should have done it myself buttt...
its a Rochester Quadra Jet. and i have the carb 350 mag cover i seen today that has org. engine $'s on it and transom matching #. i will write them down tommorow
thanks bob