omc bayliner motor shut down

macdogd

Cadet
had the boat out for the first time this season. let motor idle up to temp had good oil pressure, started across lake at about 2000 rpm motor ran fine for about five min. then shut down abruptly. starter is not able to turn engine over but it does rotate slightly. maybe a 2" stroke path. what do ya think my worse case scenero, broken rod or cylinder freeze and is probably replace the engine or do you think its reparible. no water in oil. no holes in block.

thrasher

Chief Petty Officer
Re: omc bayliner motor shut down

Have you tried removing the spark plugs? I got water in my cylinders (I believe it flowed back up the exhaust) and that would only allow the crank to turn a small amount. Removed the plugs, spun the engine over, put new plugs in and she started right up. In my case I wanted to find out why I had water in the engine and discovered the flapper valve in the exhaust was missing!! Will add a new one and hopefully put an end to my problems.. I think it's worth you removing the plugs. If the piston and rings are in good condition, you will not see water in the oil from this problem!!

Gary

macdogd

Cadet

thanks gary i will give that a try, it was running very smooth and quiet before it went

Coors

Captain

Did you stop suddenly before this happened? Were waves hitting the stern?

macdogd

Cadet

no it was in the process of moving out into the lake, i had just before putting it in to forward used rev to back out of the ramp

macdogd

Cadet

well just pulled all the plugs -no water so it must be deeper than that.
thanks any way gary

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Besides your engine could also be the drive that locked up. How is the gear oil in the drive? Did you check the level before you went out?

if you can't turn the engine, try taking the drive of and then try and turn the engine

macdogd

Cadet

had just filled it a few days ago. if the drive went out would that be enough to hold the motor in lock? I will check it out

jontoronto27

Seaman

Oh yeah, My OMC 400 just pooched on me and it made a CLUNK followed by the engine dying immediately.. You might not be able to turn the motor over because the seized drive is stuck in gear and if the impeller shaft is freezed the engine will be locked up whether it's in gear or not.

Hope this helps.
Jon

macdogd

Cadet

yea it gives me some hope the motor did run really sweet , I'm hoping i didn't hose the engine, still sounds very expensive, trying to find someone close to lancaster ohio to look at it.

macdogd

Cadet

ok guys I have to give a big thanks to all of you in helping me with this one. just pulled the drive unit and the motor is ok, drive unit is tight as a drum though at least its not an engine over haul. special thanks to Bruceb58 and jomtoronto27 you were dead on with it thanks.

great site folks been twice with trouble and you have come thru again thanks