shifter OMC 800

Malibud

Seaman Apprentice
This is an omc 800 (86) w/ chevy 350. On My Shifter the neutral lock is broken. If I put my fingers on it it just flabs up and down. So when I shift out of forward (which has become very hard) it is very easy to accidentally shift directly into reverse and skip through neutral. Any Ideas on what it could be? I do not see the screws on the housing that the manual refers to. If I take the cover off will a spring fly out? Can I take it apart without haveing to adjust cables?
Thanks for any replies ...

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: shifter OMC 800

This is an omc 800 (86) w/ chevy 350. On My Shifter the neutral lock is broken. If I put my fingers on it it just flabs up and down. So when I shift out of forward (which has become very hard) it is very easy to accidentally shift directly into reverse and skip through neutral. Any Ideas on what it could be? I do not see the screws on the housing that the manual refers to. If I take the cover off will a spring fly out? Can I take it apart without haveing to adjust cables?
Thanks for any replies ...

All shifters are probably not created equal, but all work on the same principal. As I write, I'm trying to remember about mine when I took it apart. I do know that you won't have to 'readjust' cables and I don't think anything will fly apart to the point you can't figure out how to put it back together.

It is probably time to reapply grease in it anyway. I also borrowed a neat device from my local OMC Guru to force some oil into the shift and throttle cables.

whywhyzed

Banned

I think there's a spring missing. -trying to find a picture for you.

Malibud

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, I have the concealed version of the shifter, Any ideas on getting it off?

whywhyzed

Banned

you don't need to get it off to replace spring 26. But the 3 long screws take it off.

Malibud

Seaman Apprentice

I see the spring in my manual but how do you get in there to replace it ? is it difficult? The boat is at the lake so I will have to look this weekend. Is that a parts list for ordering? where did it come from?
Thanks
DC