1984 bayliner 17 foot capri... Where to get cover tarp?

ck85abc3

Petty Officer 2nd Class
THe boat has button snaps all around it about a foot lower than the railing of the boat (does this have a propper name?). I'm pretty sure they are stock so it would be nice to find a snap on cover instead of bungee.

I've looked on the internet and I can't seem to find tarps for 1984 bayliners. I think I might have found one website that sells them but they are bungee.

Has anyone tried buying some canvas and making their own tarp? I already have a tool for putting the button snaps on the tarp. I would think I could get a pretty good fit with 2-4 strategically placed cuts on the tarp and then re sewing it. I'll have it professionaly sewed and shouldn't cost anymore than 20 bucks for the sewing and 30-40 dollars for the tarp.

Thanks

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1984 bayliner 17 foot capri... Where to get cover tarp?

you might try that but there is not one made to fit your boat as the original custom made fit. the were made for Bayliner. and that was the only source. there are guy here that have made their own.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

A number of people have made their own covers using a variety of materials. If you are looking for a mooring cover, that's one cover design. If you are looking for a trailerable cover, that's another set of issues. If the boat sits outside 24x7 you have another set of issues. Anyway, here is mine. My boat is stored inside and the cover must withstand 500 mile round trips at freeway speeds. No straps involved here except for the nose bra. Snaps are used under the rail. By the way -- you do need to have a little creativity and the desire to learn how to sew.

BoatCover2.jpg

ck85abc3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ideally the cover would be for a boat that sits outside 24/7 durring the summer and indoors durring the winter and would be pulled down the interstate at 75 miles per hour. Outside durring the summer is the most important part. The cover does not have to see interstate winds.

Learn to sew by hand? I would think that your average home sewing machine would not handle canvas.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Pick up an old Singer at a yard sale...those things are tough and will go thru canvas no problem..;)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Most average sewing machines will have a tough time. Older ones with all metal gears may be able to handle it. You aso want to use a machine than can handle a needle that will hold larger thread.

The pros use this type thread:
http://www.rochfordsupply.com/product_listing.asp_Q_CatID_E_420_A_SubCatID_E_493_A_ProdID_E_3383

It is a 92# thread and is polyester.

I prefer using Sunbrella for the boat covers I make although I hear TopGun is also good but a little harder to work with.

Here is what my covers look like:
boat_cover.jpg

Here is my sewing machine. Is a Consew 226R.
sew.jpg

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Let me get this straight -- you are going to tow at 75 MPH but the cover doesn't need to withstand "interstate winds". Isn't that a contradiction? 75 MPH is darned near hurricane force winds. Run into a 20 mph headwind and you are now at nearly 100 MPH.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The cover for the boat that I show above does not get towed down the highway. I have a snap in towing cover for that which only covers the cockpit and over the windshield.

ck85abc3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Let me get this straight -- you are going to tow at 75 MPH but the cover doesn't need to withstand "interstate winds". Isn't that a contradiction? 75 MPH is darned near hurricane force winds. Run into a 20 mph headwind and you are now at nearly 100 MPH.

Ideally the cover would be able to handle the 100+ MPH winds. However, if it can't, all it really needs to be able to do is be on the boat while it is not in use durring the summer. If the cover cannot handle 100+MPH winds, then I will tow without a cover.