need advice to pay or not to pay poll

delsol

Senior Chief Petty Officer
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
you guys were right as always. i fought with myself over why should i stop payment of the check.
reasons
boat starts in gear
starter has wierd sound with flywheel
idle not right
all my plastic not put back the way i had given it to him
wires not conected right
plus 3 new motor water hoses 3 used
when he calls me i am going to tell him to meet me at the marina and explain why i should give him the money he does not deserve
boat still a project boat. tryed to charge me for installing the drive in his packed showroom i told him that i said to check it and if it was not right to let me know as i will get a different one. i told him in front of all the people that to charge me 4k and give me back a boat like this he should be put in jail..i spent a total of close to 7k with motor and i still cannot ride in it..
bob/p

i would like so advice to pay or not to pay as he left my boat a real mess.
i know this is a fix it forum but lots of guys have been following my 5 month headache....
thanks for all the help

seasure1

Cadet
Re: need advice to pay or not to pay poll

Too many hacks out there pretending to be mechanics. They learn how to fix a boat while charging you $85.00 an hour. I have found plenty of parts changers but few master mechanics that can diagnosis a real problem.

With that said F**K Him! This happens too often! They think because we have such a short season in the Northeast we have to take it.

An example for me this year regarded a fiberglass repair on my boat. Fiberglass expert told me it was going to be $2400.00 to fix repairs from a storm last season. When he comes to get paid he said I owe him $3000.00. He said it was more work than he thought. Guess how much I paid him???

Good Luck

delsol

i lived in fla 13+ years they really screw us here on most things reguarding boats. the bad guys really kill it for the ones that are qualifed. my best friend is a ase certifed cadillac mechanic 46 yrs old and same dealership since 1979 while in h/s..
if you take you car to pep boy's (cadillac) for an a/c repair at say $90 hr. and they take 3 hrs. sometimes they will still fix it wrong . he see's it all the time. as where if hes got the same car he may charge 2hrs at 125.00 hr but its fixed right the first time as he dont get paid for come backs
bob

Coors

Captain

Del, you need to learn to fix it yourself; or find old techs that know how to fix it, and are honest, at the same time. Like you, I knew nothing about I/O, only outboards. I found old techs here(ne florida) that helped, and will give me advice, as I buy the parts. Hang on, it will get better.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i would like so advice to pay or not to pay as he left my boat a real mess.
i know this is a fix it forum but lots of guys have been following my 5 month headache....
thanks for all the help

We can't decide that for you, that is up to you. If you DON'T pay, you will be the bad guy and they will hit you with collections and whatever.
See an attorney, print out every tread on this forum you have and show the attorney. Let them decide the best way to go with this. But if you don't pay, you loose. More than once.

This whole thing is part of the school of hard knocks. Best thing you could do now is forget about putting the boat in the water this year. Then work on the boat yourself and get it in shape for next year.
It may be hot, and the boat looks like it could be a lot of fun. But you are setting yourself up to spend a lot of time being towed in for various problems you don't even know you have yet.
Little steps FORWARD till you get this mess squared away.

delsol

don thats great advice
bob

delsol

school of hard knocks..quote don s......
don s is right. i am going to pay this jerk as i had enough stress overthis..
he is 100% right i dont know what i got...dist could be in wrong..wires wrong 3 old water hoses for sure...too many thing to worry about it this year living in pa..if a southern climate i would be ready by august.
thanks all
lesson learned. thanks to this forum . trying to make the best of a bad thing
bob