HP Digital Camera died Any ideas on a new one?

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
I can't believe she did it,,,,she put the memory card in backwards. Now the camera doesn't recognize that the card is in. The camera is about 5 years old and probably not worth having it repaired.

However, is there something simple that can remedy the situation? The power comes on, the display shows flash is ready, and the battery level. It doesn't show the number of shots used or available. When trying to take a pic, I doesn't do nadda,,,,,,,,Wife is all bent out of shape thinking I'm mad at her. Not mad at all,,,,,,I needed an excuse to update to another camera.:D

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander
Re: HP Digital Camera died Any ideas on a new one?

Does it have a reset?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I have a few Nikon's and the newer ones are not up to the quality that they once were. If I had to get a small point & shoot I would go Canon.

I shoot with a canon digital slr and my son uses a nikon slr they are about equal.

Fot the small pocket size .... go canon

jimr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I would try to remove the batteries and see if it resets. if it works fine if not buy a new one. I have a Kodak Z760 and it does everything I need it to. A friend of mine has a Cannon SLR digital and he can take clear pictures of a gnats azz.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Have you tried another memory card?

rwise

Captain

best buy and other places are closing out the sony dsc-h2 to make room for the new h5, got mine for under 300, it does way more than I need and came with a 2 gig mem card so far I like it, you can keep the little buggers I don't want one my fingers are bigger than the buttons.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I've looked for a reset can't find any.

Took the batteries out over night and still not working.

Tried another memory card and still not working.

Slammed it down on the concrete,,,,,,,,,,,,,,now I know I need a new camera! :D

Pony

Rear Admiral

SS, now it the time to buy. Its "Mom's Dad's and Grad's" time. As a result there are lots of good buys on cameras.

I wont comment on what you should buy, well because I think somehow some here feel that my judgement is biased because I work for Best Buy. I will say that if I was buying I would buy a Cannon or a Casio.......but I lean more towards the Cannon. I like the SD1000 and the A560. The other nice feature in that is that it uses SD cards just like your HP, so you can still use the same cards.

I have 2 HP's myself and find them very easy to use. I just dont care for the design or size of them. The Cannons are smaller, the Casios even smaller yet. The R727 is the big sale item this week (HP).

At any rate, look for something with more Optical Zoom.......I dont even use Digital zoom. It just distorts the picture anyways.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Just bought Mrs Boomyal a Panasonic Lumix TZ3, for her birthday. If you want the smallest camera with the most zoom, this is the one. Virtually a shirt pocket camera with 10x optical zoom and 28 mm wide angle on the other end.

http://lumix.flipdevnet.com/the-lumix-range/tz3tz2.html

Paid 319$ at Costco. She has a Kodak digital camera that is really nice but it was way to big for her so she never uses it.

aspeck

Staff member

My biggest criteria when looking at digital cameras is the optical zoom- if it doesn't have 7X or better, I don't consider it. Just my opinion, but I like a good, clear, optical zoom - the greater the better!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Make sure you don't confuse optical with digital zoom. All digital zoom is doing is cropping th epicture for you. You don't get the full resolution. The only problem with a 7x optical zoom is that the quality of the optics will suffer. Too expensive to put good optics with a 7x zoom.

I have a Canon SD550. Very satisfied with it.

i386

Captain

Mine's a Sony DSC-W70 and I love it. It takes amazing pictures. When I show people the camera that took some of my better pictures they are really surprised. The macro is outstanding. It's a 7.2 megapixel with a very good lens. Sony has an 8.0 megapixel model out not that looks almost identical to mine.

I would check them out if:

You want a small camera that takes great pictures.

You want easy access to automatic settings but also want to be able to experiment with a few manual settings.

You want a nice big display but would like to have a standard viewfinder too.